New Setup Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jschweg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I just began to establish my first aquarium, I'm very new to fishkeeping, just had a few questions/concerns.

The tank is a 10g. I had wanted to go larger, but due to the space requirements and the size of my apartment, it just wasn't possible. Along with that I have a Whisper 100 Power Filter, 50W heater, and a standard fluorescent hood.

1) Currently the only fish in the tank are 4 Corys for the break-in period. I've read that these fish are pretty tough and should do okay until the cycle is over in a month. Should I consider adding any additional fish before the month is over?

2) The tank has been running now for a few days, the water is slightly cloudy. I've read that this is normal for a new tank and that it will pass.

3) I would really like to place some real plants in the tank. The floor of the tank is entirely medium sized gravel. I'm looking for a VERY low maintenance plant that doesn't need much more than placing it in the tank and leaving the light on for a certain period every day. Any suggestions?

Well your tank has just about hit the ammonia spike. Don't add any more fish until the cycle finishes. Change the water daily (partial water changes) to keep the ammonia from dangerous levels.

As for low level light plants try: hornwort, hygrophilia, java moss and java fern. These plants can grow however so fast that they will need pruning every month or so. Also anubias and they can be left floating.

I would not recommend adding any more fish until you are sure your tank is fully cycled. Get either Marineland's BIO-Spira or Seachem's Stability to speed the process. BIO-Spira works immediately to cycle the tank. I also suggest getting something to test your tank for Ammonia and Nitrite levels to make sure your tank is cycled.

As far as live plants go that are relatively low maintenance, and that will do well with your lighting levels, you might want to look at Java Fern, Java Moss, some of the Anubias species as well as some of the Cryptocorynes.

Fishyfanatic said:
What are you water levels for Ammonia and Nitrite?

The tank has been running since this past Saturday afternoon, it's Monday 10:20pm now. Levels are as follows:

Amonia: 0.50
Nitrite: 0

jschweg said:
Fishyfanatic said:
What are you water levels for Ammonia and Nitrite?

The tank has been running since this past Saturday afternoon, it's Monday 10:20pm now. Levels are as follows:

Amonia: 0.50
Nitrate: 0

Your ammonia is just beginning to rise....it will probably rise to a level 8-10x that before it begins to fall.

By the by, welcome to the board!

Toirtis said:
Your ammonia is just beginning to rise....it will probably rise to a level 8-10x that before it begins to fall.

By the by, welcome to the board!

Thanks, all the information on these boards has certainly been very helpful.

Wow, 8-10x, I hope my Cory's will be okay :(

I plan to do 10% or so water changes every 3 days during the cycle period to keep some of the amonia diluted.

Currently, besides the gravel and the 4 Corys, there isn't anything in the tank. Can I add live plant life, rocks, ect during the cycle period or should I wait a month or so?

The cloudines is due to it being a new tank and a sudden serge of Ammonia brought on by the fish. Nothing to worrk about. Keep testing for Ammonia on a daily basis and if it gets above 1 ppm, do a 20% water change. The high levels of ammonia will harm the fish. Going with a fishless cycle would have been faster and less of a hassle, but I know how boring it can be to stare at an empty tank. :D

You can go ahead and add live plants. What type of rocks are you adding to the tank? As long as it doesn't effect the pH, I'd say you would be fine to add anything to the tank (besides fish).

I plan to do 10% or so water changes every 3 days during the cycle period to keep some of the amonia diluted.

You are going to have to do at least 20% pwc everyday, or no less than every other day, to keep the ammonia at acceptable levels until the cycle is complete

jersysman said:

You are going to have to do at least 20% pwc everyday, or no less than every other day, to keep the ammonia at acceptable levels until the cycle is complete

Thank you, I'll do that.

You don't really have to do water changes every day. Do you have a test kit? If so, test the ammonia every day and if it gets above 1 ppm, do a 20% water change. You may only have to change it every other day or every two days. It really varies from person to person.

Ok so I tested for Ammonia today and it had reached 1.0ppm, so I did about a 20% water change. I re-tested 15-20 minutes later and the level had dropped to about 0.5 again. I would have thought it would drop a little more, are these results typical for a 20% change?

That is typical. You still want to have ammonia present, just not in high doses, otherwise it can burn your fish gills. Don't do another change until it gets over 1 ppm. Like 1.5 or so. Try to keep the ammonia around 1 ppm at all times.

Thanks for the help, this post has been great.

Ok, last question. During the break-in cycle, should I avoid doing any gravel vaccuming?

Don't do any gravel vacing unless you see a build up of fish waste. If there is uneaten food in the tank, remove it immediately. Also, don't touch the filter.

Alright, its been 8 days now and the ammonia readings are still very high (1.0ppm), with no sign of any Nitrites... Am I doing something wrong?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom