New setup and things aren't right.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tweitzel79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings everyone,

My wife and I are new to aquariums, so please forgive us if these questions sound silly and noobish (they will be).

On Saturday, we went down to Petco and purchased a 16 gallon aquarium, rocks, silk plants, a 30-gallon filter, conditioner, heater, and a few decorations. We prepared the tank, adding the conditioner per the instructions on the bottle, and ran the filter for 24 hours. Thermometer reads 78 degrees and the heater cycles on and off regularly.

On Sunday, we went to a tropical fish store and purchase two Guppies and 4 GloFish. We got the fish home, floated them for an hour, added a bit of water from our tank to their bag, waited, then released them into our tank.

The GloFish died off within four hours, but the Guppies are swimming around, eating regularly, and seem to act normal.

I'd like some input as to what the problem might be. What should I be testing for as a possible cause of death to the glowies? What may I have done wrong in adding the fish to the tank?

I appreciate any input you folks can provide.

A few things come to mind....first and most importantly, you need t o read up on cycling a tank. There are links to this procedure, and well, you aren't the first to think that all you do is add fish to the water after decorating it. So first read up on what is a nitrogen cycle, and follow that up with reading up on a fish-in or fish less cycle and the procedures
of doing either.
Thirdly, purchase a reputable test kit.....API freshwater test kit is highly recommended, stay AWAY from the strip test, as thus is highly inaccurate, focus on the test kit, that has the bottles of regents in it.

We did a little research on cycling the tank, but apparently we weren't given the best instruction (thanks, Petco).

Just so I'm clear, is this the test you recommend?

I've read the article on cycling, but I want to be clear on a plan of action. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

1. Let my two guppies poop. A lot.
2. Buy the tester kit.
3. Keep Ammonia or Nitrite equal to or less than .25 PPM
4. Keep Nitrate under 20 PPM
5. Test daily for those values
6. Get fish
7. Eat bacon

One question I have: We bought a 30 gallon filter for our 16 gallon tank. However, when the glowies started dying, they were stuck up against the intake for the filter and we switched it out with a 16 gallon filter. Considering we only have two guppies in the tank an nothing else, is it safe and advisable to put the 30 gallon filter back in?

Are u running a filter now?? I sincerely hope you are...reason 1.) It's important to help establish your biofilter for the nitrogen cycle 2.) Necessary for the fish to survive

You should/can run the 30 gallon filter also....I don't know what kind of filter you are using, but some filters have a sponge thar you can slide onto the intake strainer, so the fish won't get sucked up or attached to the tube. What type of filter are u using? (Brand).

Also know that when cycling, ammonia conc. may even rise to 4 ppm, of that occurs do a 10-25% water change. When you finally get nitrite, expect them to spike as well (later during the ending of the cycling process) but they will drop just as fast before you start getting readings on nitrates.

If you don't have a prefilter, you can get a little sponge to put over the intake for like $3.

It's not just Petco. Any chain pet store, and many local shops, tell you that you can add fish right away. It's their job to sell fish, and, unfortunately, they don't care if those fish survive.

Guppies do poop a lot, so you'll be fine with that!

Welcome to the forum. Things will get better quickly now that you have a resource that doesn't have a financial interest in the number of fish you buy.

Lastly, just be patient as the entire process from day 1 to complete cycling is an ongoing process, and is usually done in abt 2 months.

You can also add a beneficial bacteria to the tank, which will help to establish your biofilter, something like Seachem Prime, Seachem Stability, or Tetras Safe Start Plus.

You should/can run the 30 gallon filter also....I don't know what kind of filter you are using, but some filters have a sponge thar you can slide onto the intake strainer, so the fish won't get sucked up or attached to the tube. What type of filter are u using? (Brand).
It's an Aqueon 30 that doesn't have any sort of insert. Will put the 30 back on tomorrow, or is it best to wait a bit?

Also know that when cycling, ammonia conc. may even rise to 4 ppm, of that occurs do a 10-25% water change. When you finally get nitrite, expect them to spike as well (later during the ending of the cycling process) but they will drop just as fast before you start getting readings on nitrates.
Will be getting a testing kit tomorrow. What about a cleaning vacuum? Any recommendations?

I use a python gravel and water siphon combo (found on amazon). In regards to the 30 aqueon, you can wait til you have the sponge if that makes you feel comfortable.

Why, after two days, is my tank cloudy? I don't feel I'm overfeeding, the fish eat what is given. The filter has been running constantly.

Where have I failed my fish?

Back
Top Bottom