new setup-- brown algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canyon15

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just add LR 4 days ago and i noticed this morning a brown film (algea?) on the rocks starting to develop. Is this the algea phase of cycling a new tank and if so is this a visual indication of how far along the cycle is? Any advice would be helpful ( LR was uncured)

The brown film is algae and is normal in a newly established tank...it will diminish as the tank goeas along its cycle.

I have Brown algea in my tank to. I was told it is because of it being new. The best way to know when your cycle is done or what is doing is by doing a test.

Ok one ? it is normal for new tanks to go through this but do you use RO/DI water or tap water?

RO/DI or just RO? Test also for phosphates and Nitrates. But its normal to go through this.. TDS on your water? SHould be between 0-6 prefered 0. Phosphates <0.5 Nitrates 5ppm or less. Nitrates usually around 20ppm for new tanks this will go down with regular water changes.

Whats your Nitrates and Phosphates?

Back
Top Bottom