New setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAS1234

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I'm just starting my first saltwater tank. I have a biocube 29 that I started 5 days ago with 25 lbs of cured live rock. I've been testing the water and there has been no signs of cycling. All parameters are still reading 0. Not sure what to do from here. Is there something to be done to get things started? Help.

Add a raw shrimp! What's in there? Rock/sand? You need an ammonia source to kick start the cycle. A raw shrimp will do that as it decays...

Will try that. What about adding some fish food? Can I add chicken?

Just get a single, raw, cocktail shrimp. That's your safest bet (it came from the ocean, after all).

Or, you can dose with pure ammonia. You can get a bottle at Ace Hardware for about $3. Make sure it has no dyes, perfumes, or surfactants added: Ace® Ammonia - 15 Pack - Industrial Cleaners - Ace Hardware (that's a bulk pack, you can get singles at your store). If you go this route, you will need to closely monitor the ammonia level and re-dose as needed to keep the cycle going.

Back
Top Bottom