New Sponge Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie_lynn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there! I am buying a small sponge filter for my 5 gallon tank. Really, it's purpose will be to provide some filtration in my 5 gallon shrimp bucket during my cross country move in a few months. In the meantime, I want to make sure that I get a good bacteria colony growing on it.

To do so, do I just need to put it in my aquarium as is for now? Or does it need to be actively filtering via an air pump to become a well seasoned sponge?

I've never used a sponge filter before. At present, I have a fluval 5 gallon tank, and have been using the filter that is built into the side of the tank (it includes a large sponge, along with what they refer to as a "bio bag" and a charcoal bag as well). Any helpful thoughts and hints are welcome! :flowers:

If you can place it in your established tank and run air through it, then this should help season it and make it suitable for the trip. I believe it should run in the main tank a few weeks to help establish BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great! Thanks! I will buy an air pump then. I'm assuming I should unplug my other filter once I have this one running then, no?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom