New Spraybar Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiQuiD

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I finally popped a spray bar on my 75g planted. I have 2 canisters hooked up to this tank, and decided to put the bar up against the right side facing the length of the tank.. Its got pretty strong pressure coming out of my output from a Marineland C360, so I angled it up slightly. I noticed my angel and discuss now stay lower in the tank. I dont want the new change to drive them crazy, but I want to take the wait and see approach. I thought the spray bar would even out the pressure, instead of it blasting from one area. THIS is the spraybar I popped on my filter.

So my questions are:

1) If you have a spraybar, where do you put it, and which direction do you face it for optimal use? How did your fish react?

2) I know alot of people that face the bar up for surface agitation. I will be hooking up C02 to this tank very soon, so wont that remove the C02 prematurely?

Thanks in advance everyone!
:thanks:

1) When I was using a spray bar I initially had it along the back pointing forward. Flow along the front was fine but I felt the sides did not have much flow. CO2 mist from the diffuser would rise straight up. I then moved the spray bar to the right side. Flow was improved but I eventually took off the spray bar.
2) You may loose some. You can increase the bps to compensate for this. I noticed that when I removed the spray bar the drop checker would get to a nice yellowish green color and stay that way for hours.

1) When I was using a spray bar I initially had it along the back pointing forward. Flow along the front was fine but I felt the sides did not have much flow. CO2 mist from the diffuser would rise straight up. I then moved the spray bar to the right side. Flow was improved but I eventually took off the spray bar.

Thanks for the reply Fresh. I should mention that this spraybar isnt terribly long, so it would maybe only cover 1/3rd of the backside of the tank. Thats why I decided to put it on the side. Im sure I could do a DIY version and make it much larger. For a $5 Ebay item, im not mad at the results though. My main purpose is to put my c02 into the filter, and this spraybar evenly release it throughout the tank, and not piss off my fish.:D May I ask why you finally removed it?

2) You may loose some. You can increase the bps to compensate for this. I noticed that when I removed the spray bar the drop checker would get to a nice yellowish green color and stay that way for hours.

So was it once dark green then lightened? Doesn't a more yellowish tone mean its a little too high? :confused:

I wanted more flow in the tank. I'm using a GLA knockoff CO2 diffuser. I'm relying on the current to push around the CO2 bubbles and help keep them suspended. If I build a CO2 reactor then the spray bar might come back. Initially I had the bubbles go into the canister intake but talked myself out of it.
Green is fine (for the drop checker color). Mine starts out blue in the AM and later turns green and later still, lime green. Yellow is not good (lost a school of Furcata Rainbows this way).

Diy'ing a second spray bar for the back wall will increase overall length and reduce exit velocity though the pump will still turn the same amount of water. You should find that the current is not as strong. If could also add some extra holes at the back of the spray bar so water hit the glass directly behind it. More holes more reduction in velocity at each.

I have the spray bar pointed up now to combat this annoying biofilm which I'm sure is a result of my micro mix. The colour in the drop checker is evident was green/yellow now it's blue/green. As Fresh says you can turn the bubble rate up to compensate. This way you get more co2 and more o2.

Back
Top Bottom