New Step into SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok this will not be my first attempt at SW, i had a sucsessful 10 gallon nano, until i moved from Minnesota to south dakota here in september. i sold it all off, instead of trying to move it. the 75 with the oscar was hard enough:confused:!

well it is time to start up a SW again... my current plane is to use my 20L with a 10 as a sump... and i am here to get advise on the best way to do it.

my aim is to have a few fish... like a couple False Percula and a scooter blenny, a few inverts..like snails, hermite crabs, ect and mybe an anemone, like condylactic and some LR

i don't want a "reef", i want to get away with just a floresent light on the tank already, maybe just changing out the bulb.

on my nano i did not have a skimmer, just ran a DIY fuge out of an aquaclear hob with lr rubble, and a powerhead...

1. for this i want advice on pumps to turn a 10 gallon into a sump for my non-drilled 20L. so how do i get the water down and back up?

2. best way to turn a 10 into a sump? and what to put on/in it? i was thinking or using plexiglass fror baffils to make three chambers, with the middle full of lr, and a light to grow beneficial stuff like macro algae.

3. i want to put a skimmer in the sump, i am working at petco and we have this in stock what are your thoughts on using this in my setup? can you suggest something better?

that is a good place to start i think, fell free to include anything else i should think about...

thanks!

Sounds like it could be a great set-up.

Just make sure: You want the hoses to attach to some sort of hang-on the back box on the aquarium, otherwise in a power outtage the water could siphon back out of your tank into the sump and flood the floor.

The simple solution to that is drill a small hole in the overflow, below the waterline, so if you lose power, the water will siphon out until it hits the hole and the siphon will break.

ok back to this plan

thanks for the responces so far

what are the thoughts about that skimmer? is it a good choice?

does anyone have a suggestion on a pump?

Skip the anemone. They need LIGHT and lots of it.

The pump size you choose depends on the overflow you use. Every overflow is rated for x gallons per hour (gph), typically around 600 for a 1" pipe. You want a pump that can pump up to but not exceed that gph rating at the head height (height from the pump to where the return to the tank sits [rim of the tank]).

I don't know about that skimmer. The AquaC Remora PS generally gets good marks.

You should checkout Melev's Reef - Sumps & Fuge's for great information on building yioru sump/fuge.

Great project. Be sure to take pictures as you go and post a build thread.

well i still need to do alot of research, but i think i will fill the tank today, and start the fish-less cycle going

Back
Top Bottom