New Stock list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is what I'm planning on for my 55 gallon peacock/hap tank. I'm planning on breeding each kind but hoping not to interbreed anything, so I chose fish that were from different genuses, so no two kinds of aulonocara or no to kinds of protomelas. Tell me what you think!

3 Placidochromis electra
3 Otopharynx Lithobates "Zimbawe Rock"
3 Protomelas sp. Stevani Taiwan "Taiwan Reef"
3 Copadichromis Trewavasae "Ivory Mloto"
3 Aulonocara sp. Lwanda

Here is what I'm planning on for my 55 gallon peacock/hap tank. I'm planning on breeding each kind but hoping not to interbreed anything, so I chose fish that were from different genuses, so no two kinds of aulonocara or no to kinds of protomelas. Tell me what you think!

3 Placidochromis electra
3 Otopharynx Lithobates "Zimbawe Rock"
3 Protomelas sp. Stevani Taiwan "Taiwan Reef"
3 Copadichromis Trewavasae "Ivory Mloto"
3 Aulonocara sp. Lwanda

Seems like a 55 is pretty small to house haps. I have one rhoadessi in my 70 gallon, and plan to rehome him after 6 inches. Is this just a grow out tank for you?

That stock list needs to be in a 125 gallon+ tank, those are all larger and very active Haps. Haps should not be kept in anything smaller than a 6' tank IMO. When I had my Tanzania I moved them from their 4' grow out to a 6' 125g the difference in the behavior/color was as different as night and day.

That stock list needs to be in a 125 gallon+ tank, those are all larger and very active Haps. Haps should not be kept in anything smaller than a 6' tank IMO. When I had my Tanzania I moved them from their 4' grow out to a 6' 125g the difference in the behavior/color was as different as night and day.

Oh ok. Sounds like I should have done a little more research then! ;) Could I keep peacocks then and not haps? I'll change that list then until j get a bigger tank!

Oh ok. Sounds like I should have done a little more research then! ;) Could I keep peacocks then and not haps? I'll change that list then until j get a bigger tank!

Ya no worries, it's easy to get excited and want a certain kind of fish before really looking into it. Pretty sure everyone has done it atleast once. And ya, peacocks will definitely work in the 55.

Yes you can most certainly do the peacocks. Personally I'd wait and just do Haps! They are probably the only African cichlids I care for.

Yes you can most certainly do the peacocks. Personally I'd wait and just do Haps! They are probably the only African cichlids I care for.

Gotcha. So i'm guessing you don't overstock these like you do with mbuna? And would it work if i took like 2 species off of the list? Or do they just need a long tank to swim in? I'm really hoping to breed some fish and I thought these guys would be great because they are so colorful. I just don't want to interbreed so i'm worried about multiple peacock species.

Peacocks and Haps don't need to be overstocked IME. If you're serious about breeding them stick to one species per tank with 1-2 males and a good sized group of females.

Peacocks and Haps don't need to be overstocked IME. If you're serious about breeding them stick to one species per tank with 1-2 males and a good sized group of females.

Looking on this website, (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/haps_vs_mbuna.php) it seems like the only possibilities....i'm sure not recommended are the protomelas, copadichromis, placidochromis, and of course aulonocara. And i'm kind of hoping that maybe i could get a few species to breed in one tank, cuz right now my parents aren't letting me getting another tank, so thats why i was doing 3 of each, 1 male and 2 females. Is it possible to do peacocks without any interbreeding?

Looking on this website, (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/haps_vs_mbuna.php) it seems like the only possibilities....i'm sure not recommended are the protomelas, copadichromis, placidochromis, and of course aulonocara. And i'm kind of hoping that maybe i could get a few species to breed in one tank, cuz right now my parents aren't letting me getting another tank, so thats why i was doing 3 of each, 1 male and 2 females. Is it possible to do peacocks without any interbreeding?

Any mouthbrooders can technically breed with other mouthbrooders. I'd stick to one big breeding colony of peacocks until you have the $$ and space for a 6' tank then you can get some Haps. Placidochromis are one of my favorite families of Haps.

Alright sounds good. I'll let you know the stock list again when i narrow it down

I have to choose 1 from each of these lists:

A. Maylandi
A. Kandeense
A. Sp. "Chitande Type Masinje"

A. Lwanda
A. Sp. "Walteri"

A. Hueseri
A. Korneliae
A. Stuartgranti "Ngara"

I have to choose 1 from each of these lists:

A. Maylandi
A. Kandeense