New Stocking "rule"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I was thinking today. Everyone uses the not so efficient 1 inch per gallon rule. I actually use it as a baseline to keep track of what I am doing but I modify it. This is a better method (I think) that I thought up. Please critic for me!

So instead of keeping track of stocking in inches lets use points. Lets also go so far as to say that you get one point per gallon of water (not in extremely tall tanks but we will get to that later).
With 1 point per gallon established lets establish tank categories. Well use L for long (20 long, standard 55, etc), T for tall, and ET for extremely tall. So now we have that guideline. One more note before we discuss adding fish: As a generalized rule lets say that any fish 4 inches or over has to be in a tank with a volume (in gallons) 10 times its lenght in inches. For example a 5 inch fish must be in a 50 gallon tank.

Now we can assign points! So a fish like a neon tetra, after considering its bioload and size would be given a point value of 1. Whereas the similar sized guppy, after considering its bioload, would be given a point value of 3. But what if I wanted zebra danios? Its point value would be 2 so I could have 10 in a 20 gallon tall right? No. A zebra danios point value would be 2L. 2 because of its size and bioload and L because it requires a long tank! What about fish with almost no bio-load? Are you saying 1 per gallon? NO! A fish with a small bio-load, like a shrimp, would be given a fractional point value. 1/10 of a point for a small shrimp!

I realize that this does not take everything into account. No system could. Aggression, water parameters, and the like would need to be considered seperatly. But this would provide a way to keep track of stocking levels without using the extremely faulty inch per gallon rule. The reason people keep using it is because it lets you visualize your stocking in a way. Now as far as stocking an extra tall tank I'm a little lost......
So yall! What do you think? I want honest opinions please!
God bless!

Well the concept is certainly more accurate. But I'm afraid most people would blow it off because it would take so much figuring. I think it would be fun, kinda like a puzzle. . .

rebelyeller89 said:
Well the concept is certainly more accurate. But I'm afraid most people would blow it off because it would take so much figuring. I think it would be fun, kinda like a puzzle. . .

True, plus you would have to assign EVERY fish points...lol. Thats not going to be fun, even if you only assign the common fish points

Well I can see that.... But for expierinced aquarist you could calculate points yourself to keep track of...... Trying not to let it die....yet..... lol

There will never be a good guideline to follow. Too many factors. So many 'this per gallon' or 'that per gallon' 'rules' that lead many newcomers to the hobby down the wrong path. IMO, that would just do the same.

I agree, this is a good idea of an attempt to revamp a system. However, there will never, ever be a system that can come close to what experience can determine.

I agree, this is a good idea of an attempt to revamp a system. However, there will never, ever be a system that can come close to what experience can determine.
I agree but a system gives you numbers. If I dont have something concrete like that I get lost lol

That's a good idea! :) and would make it fun and really make ppl concider the fish's needs on an environment if they didn't already.

This is a great idea! seems like a very visual way of figuring out your stocking list. I'm going to PM you a small suggestion. That way you can decide if it merits further discussion...

Interesting idea but why don't you try and hook up with the folks at AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor and work on helping to tweak and perfect that system?
Tweeking there system? I want something that an aquarists can do themselves at home on paper... or in their head. It was just a way to maybe make a better system. Think about it. Petstores like petsmart and such could label their tags with a point value for each fish!

So my small suggestion was for the thread starter to think of this idea as. A phone AP.
seems like we would need to find a way to more accurately Quantify bioload. A dwarf puffer may have the load of 6 tetras. Also a color code system to designate proper mixing.
anyone have thoughts?

Posted from phone, pardon errors

We can design this by committee. And make it open source. We can save fish and headaches where ever an Aquarium and cell phone are in company of each other.

My honest opinion, I think it's a great concept and has the potential to expand in the app world. However, I know for myself, I would become confused with all the codes or colors and eventually get frustrated with the whole system. I still refer to a calculator for conversions. Inches to liters to gallons ect. It is a good idea and props to you for even trying to configure another more effective way for people to consider when properly stocking their tanks :)

not bad! i do agree with the point made about leading new hobbyists down the wrong path. there needs to be some sort of way to calculate aggression and other needs into the mix. this would pretty much require giving every fish a numerical profile, which would be pointless considering the thousands of detailed fish profiles available on the internet. overall i think if used by experienced aquarists for visualization purposes only it is a very practical idea. :)

I think a phone app is a great idea but have no clue how to do it lol

To be honest, there is no magical formula or a rule to be used in stocking. All you need is experience, research, and a plan. If your stocking plans are well-thought out and you have taken everything into consideration, there is no need for a guideline.

Aggression is based on fish, so there's nothing you can do to calculate that. It's all on chance.

JMO :)

To be honest, there is no magical formula or a rule to be used in stocking. All you need is experience, research, and a plan. If your stocking plans are well-thought out and you have taken everything into consideration, there is no need for a guideline.

Aggression is based on fish, so there's nothing you can do to calculate that. It's all on chance.

JMO :)

I completely agree with that statement. You could give a male Betta an aggressive rating, however some are as laid back as can be. It can go the other way too. Dwarf Gouramis are usually classified as peaceful, but there are some out there that are total bullies. There are just too many variables to attempt to make a system. All fish calculators will ever be is mediocre at best.

Ok this is for stocking based on bioload for the most part. The inch per gallon "rule" was for the same purpose. It is up to the aquarist to consider aggression still but this system is a good guideline for people (like me) who need something to base off of. If I just figure stocking in my head without a guideline I get to confused!

Back
Top Bottom