new SW tank and lights during cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clark4feathers

Aquarium Advice Freak
new SW tank with LR and sand, not to mention a raw shrimp. Howl ong should I leave on the lights...Do the lights help with the cycle?

new SW tank with LR and sand, not to mention a raw shrimp. Howl ong should I leave on the lights...Do the lights help with the cycle?

The lights do not make any difference during the cycle. If you want to get on your regular lighting schedule that is fine or you can save electricity and use no lights until your tank is cycled.

The lights do not make any difference during the cycle. If you want to get on your regular lighting schedule that is fine or you can save electricity and use no lights until your tank is cycled.

Pretty good advice.

Hi

I put it in for 6 hours a day during cycle, After the cycle finish coralline alge quickly appear on the bottom of a few live rocks and now is expanding.

So I assume is all good.

it's just that during the initial cycle, you are going to have an abundance of nutrients available, and add light, and this is a perfect situation for nuisance algae to take hold.
i never run light over a cycling tank. ambient light from the room is enough to keep anything photosynthetic alive till after, if you are concerned with coralline or other interesting hitch hikers.

Lights on or off

Thanks for the tips. My dead shrimp will be in the dark. Guess that is a good thing. He is not exactly something I would want to show to my friends

Back
Top Bottom