New tank! 20gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcala

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had this tank for about 2 weeks now. I have a penguin 100&150 running at the same time. (I know over kill but it's clear as hell) I have a bunch of mollies, few tetras, and a pleco and a ghost knife. The levels are all good (i think.. I jump stated the cycle then started to use the special blend) . Clear water. But some of the tetras are losing color, but are swimming fine. And my Molly is getting gold coloration all over. What's up?

Do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? What do these numbers read? I suspect your issues are related to uncycled tank but some more information will help!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I have the strips, 10 no3..... 0 (maybe .5) no2..... pH 7.0.....KH 40....GH 30-60! All this cycling stuff gots me confused!!!! The LFS said to use "microbe-lift special blend" it seems to keep water clean?

Strips are not very accurate. You need an ammonia test as this is likely what is at toxic levels right now. I would suggest a 50% water change with temperature matched, properly conditioned water twice daily until you are able to accurately test your water. Do you have plans for the ghost knife?

Strips are not very accurate. You need an ammonia test as this is likely what is at toxic levels right now. I would suggest a 50% water change with temperature matched, properly conditioned water twice daily until you are able to accurately test your water. Do you have plans for the ghost knife?

I just ordered the liquid test should be in soon (may 8-9). The knife is just a baby, my LFS said they will take him back once it's too big but he's my favorite so ill upgrade tank size!

Good job on getting a liquid test kit! That will be a big help in figuring out where your tank is at in the cycling process. I am glad to hear you have plans for your knife, too. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom