New tank advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all. My girlfriend and I recently set up our first 10gal and had a few questions that we hoped to get some help with.

First of all, this is our first experience in the aquarium field, so we might have made some common errors in our excitement to get things going. My main fear, after reading over some of the past posts here, is that we have overpopulated our quaint little tank. Currently we have 3 albino corys, 6 black skirt tetras, a betta, and 3 zebra danios.

After adding in the danios and betta I noticed that it seemed we might have overstepped the capacity of our tank. We are perfectly willing to purchase another tank to migrate some of the fish into if their numbers present a serious threat to their wellbeing. However, with us having no experience I don't rightly know whether or not this is a problem.

Any advice and insight you can give would be majorly appreciated.

Also, I'm sure you've gotten this a huge amount of times, but is there a good first-timer FAQ that covers all the basics one should know when first breaking into this hobby? My girlfriend and I are serious about learning and would like to make sure that any decisions we make regarding the community will be in the best interest of our new little friends.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I would move the betta into a small betta tank. ( i belive there are complete 1 gallon systems with a light and filter for a very reasonable price.) other than that, I think that what you have isn't to bad. Although you may have some problems with the black skirts getting to big.

It is good to keep the danios in a larger group. they are schooling fish and are more comfortable with several of their own kind.

I like to have heavy foilage with my Danios when I house them in a community tank. I would suggest getting a few plastic plants which have many small leaves on them. The silk plants are cool because they look more convincing and the leaves will move realisticly in the current.

Be sure to change about 20 percent of the water every 2 weeks and you should be good.

Welcome to the wonderfully addictive world of fishkeeping! :D

[center:0e2a71ca3a] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Lifez! :n00b: [/center:0e2a71ca3a]
There are numerous articles to read here on the site that can help out a newbie. A 10 gal tank gets filled very quickly--I would suggest a 20 or 29 gal tank as a community tank. Keep the 10 gal for the betta and a couple of friends~or divide the tank and put two bettas in there.

Welcome Lifez!! :multi:

You may have a problem with your black skirts nipping at your bettas fins. It's not definate, but a possibility. So make sure to watch for this, and be ready to move him if need be. Also, the silk plants are a good investment, especially with a betta. If you can take a nylon, and rub it against the plant, and it catches or snags, than that plant will snag your bettas beautiful fins. There are a few plastics I've found to be ok, but go with silk to be safe. Do definately go through the articles section on this site. You will learn lots!!

I really appreciate the advice guys. :D :mrgreen: I'm relieved to see that the only real concern you all have is that the skirts might start nipping at the betta. My girlfriend and I have been carefully monitoring the interaction between the two species to see if anything has gone awry. So far everything looks rather peaceful and the betta's fins are intact. For some reason he seems to like to stick around the glass heater and his proximity to it often makes me worry a bit.

We've prepared a secondary habitat for him in case things get sketchy, but for the moment it appears that everyone will be able to co-exist without a problem. Thanks again, for the advice and the welcome. :infinity:

Welcome to AA Lifez... I haven't been here long but I've been here long enough to know these folks know their stuff :)

I was recommended a book called "A simple guide to Freshwater Aquariums", by David E. Boruchowitz

In the last week or so I've read it cover to cover... and feel like I've learned a ton. Its a great book for newbies, very easy to read. It was 18 bucks at Borders... Ive also seen it at several pet stores.

Thanks Chevy. I will definitely check out that book if I can find it. If the local stores don't have a copy I'm sure B&N or Amazon will have it online.

Back
Top Bottom