New tank... Am I missing something???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
5 weeks ago I bought a 37 gallon tank. I wanted to do it properly, better than I did with my 20. I put in a 1-inch layer of fluorite substrate with a 1-inch layer of small gravel, then I put in a few strands of anacharis, a large water lily, a water wisteria and a good-sized corkscrew val I removed from my old tank. I put 4 tiger barbs in the tank to help start the cycle.

After the first week I found my ammonia levels skyrocketing and the fish stressing. I expected it, just not as fast as it came on. I did a 50% water change 2 days in a row and the ammonia level dropped drastically.

For 2 weeks after the water change nothing changed. My ammonia levels were testing at or near 0.0, the nitrites at 0.0 and Nitrates at 0.0. They stayed that way for almost 2 weeks.

On the advice a friend I took the filter from my 20 gallon and put it in the new tank to jump-start the bacteria. I took it out last Wednesday. Yesterday my ammonia levels tested at .25, nitrites at .25 and the nitrates at 5.0. I also found the pH at 8.2. I hadn't checked it before so I don't know if it has always been that level or not.

I also noticed that the plants are not growing. The leaves are rotting and falling off the wisteria and anacharis and the corkscrew val leaves look like they are semi-transparent in places.

My 20 gallon is flourishing. I use the same water from the same source, feed the fish properly, do the water changes regularly, and test the water at least twice a week. The test kit is good according to the dates on the bottles.

I'm getting tired of looking at a box of water. Am I missing something to get this tank cycled? :banghead:

I have 2 18-watt T8 full spectrum lights although I suspect they may not be large enough. I am not using any fertilizer tabs since I have the fluorite substrate.

I have 2 18-watt T8 full spectrum lights although I suspect they may not be large enough. I am not using any fertilizer tabs since I have the fluorite substrate.

So you are putting 36 watts of light over a 37 gallon tank. I have 24 watts over a 10 gallon tank. Your light is low light and some of you plants, like the Val require much more light, probably over 2 watts per gallon.

I have also seen that when I move plants or get new ones, the older leaves wilt, later new leaves appear and the plant recovers.

Sorry, been terribly busy last few days. Life happens like that sometimes. Anyway, I bought some brighter lights to try to help my plants. The wattage didnt change but I almost doubled the lumens. The tank does look brighter, so I will see what happens.

But as for my original question... I tested the water again yesterday. The ammonia was at 0, nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 5ppm... did a partial water change... pH is now at 7.2 thanks to using Neutral Regulator...

Since I had ammonia and a small amount of nitrites before, can I assume the tank cycled? The levels didnt get to what I expected except for the ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom