New tank and Plant help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FL Yes 15 years ago it was still a decent place to go I would go buy rabbit food there my last trip the food was so buggy I walked out it changed it was almost like they didn't care any more. But with Petco, PetSmart & Pet Supplies Plus so close he can't compete against them.

After reading a few articles on planted tanks and cycling I learned my mistakes aren't horrible and very correctable.
I need more plants, a testing kit and more gravel.
Without the testing kits I'm not sure about water changes.
How deep should the gravel be? I have read from an inch to three inches.
There is just enough gravel on top of the plants to hold them down.
The Amazon swords may not be happy in my tank the water is to cool for them (70 degrees).
Should the plants be directly under the light? When I planted them I didn't have a hood to put the light on it's a used tank it didn't have a hood just lights. I just planted them in a corner. Afterwards I realized I planted them wrong but I decided to wait until I had more to plant then do them all at once.
How do you fertilize the plants without disturbing the roots?
It makes no sense to me to put drops into a tank. Why fertilize the fish too?
The entire subject of co2 has me completely confused.
Why would you do a bleach dip on your plants?
My goal is to simulate the natural habitat of the fish & plants.

Bleach dip would prevent snails and other hitchhikers from moving into your tank. I like most snails, but I still do a hydrogen peroxide dip with new plants.

You can buy root tabs or make some. There are lots of articles on them. You just stick them in the substrate near the plants.

Don't worry about CO2 right now. Look for non- demanding plants. Your lighting probably isn't so high that your plants would require extra CO2.

When I restarted in the hobby last year I had read somewhere about low maintenance planted tanks.
Long story short you plant the tank heavily, stock lightly, use snails (Malaysian trumpet snails) and loaches to turn up the sand substrate don't vacuum as you would gravel. Now after researching I found that is not necessarily good practice, but I have also learned what parts of this work to lower maintenance.

I rarely vacuum, most with planted tanks don't.

I plant as heavy as I can (haven't got to heavily planted yet) because plants reduce ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

I try to stock lightly, currently housing some fish from my sons small tank that developed a leak.

I use pond and ramshorn snails, along with assassin snails to control their population.

In my tank with no assassins I have nerite (don't breed in freshwater) and mystery snails with red cherry shrimp and endlers.

The article said you didn't have to change water every week, I have done weekly water changes anyway.

I recently started using NilocG DIY pps-pro liquid fertilizer, but for almost a year I used neither root tabs or liquid. Liquid ferts will help tremendously, the growth has been unreal in the week I've been using them. But for a year I had fairly healthy plants with nothing.

I hope this shows you that everyone's story/tanks are different, I don't recommend some of the things that worked for me in last year but they worked. So just try plants, research, ask question and see what works for you it's not rocket science, but we're here to help when it gets more complicated (still learning myself) .

I think it's all the different opinions that's confusing.
The one thing that has stayed constant is to heavy plant and add more gravel. What no has told me is do I put the new gravel over the existing or mix it in?
I only have 6 Guppies in the tank.
I'm not buying any more fish until I stabilize the tank. I know how to raise fish it's raising plants that I'm new at. I have a pea gravel substrate.
Can I put loaches with my Guppies?
I have had several fish keepers say don't adjust the water just do water changes. The thought is that the fish are no longer wild caught and they are living in tanks of the same water I have.

Loaches would depend which ones?

I think sometimes we over think fish parameters. I think close works most of the time. Its gh/kh not ph that I look at as more important. I do like to watch tds a bit.

Depends on the kind, I had to return mine they chased/stressed my juvenile platy fry.

Im not sure what you mean by stir substrate and loaches. What are you trying to do exactly?

He is talking about a article I mentioned reading about snails and loaches helping to stir the sand in low maintenance planted tanks.

Cool....Imo you need sand for that too have value as far as using loaches. There not gonna move gravel around much. And gravel wouldnt be ideal. Mts wouldn't care

I am finally getting ready for plants. I have 1 Amazon Sword and 1 Java Fern.
I want to add more Amazon Swords & Java Ferns, some Red Ludwigia & cryptocoryns Wendtii Bronze. How many of each should I get for my 29 gallon while leaving enough room for fish to swim?
For fish I have 2 male Guppies and 4 female.
I'm adding Neon Tetras and Bronze cory cats. I know Neon Tetras & cory cats are schooling.
Any recommendations on a type of florescent bulb?
Thank you

Plant help

I received a Asian Water fern and a Riccia Fluitans as a gift. I have no idea how to care for them. I have a low tech freshwater 29 gallon tank. Information online is confusing.

The water fern has a rhizome with roots. Kinda like an iris. You don't want to bury the rhizome or it will rot. The plants are usually tied to rocks or wood to make sure they do t get buried. They draw nutrients from the water.

Thank you. Do you know anything about the other one? Petco told my daughter plant them, the internet says they float. This is getting exciting.

Plant help

I'm not familiar with the other one. Someone should chime in soon.

If not, try posting in the Planted forum area.

I am finally getting ready for plants. I have 1 Amazon Sword and 1 Java Fern.
I want to add more Amazon Swords & Java Ferns, some Red Ludwigia & cryptocoryns Wendtii Bronze. How many of each should I get for my 29 gallon while leaving enough room for fish to swim?
For fish I have 2 male Guppies and 4 female.
I'm adding Neon Tetras and Bronze cory cats. I know Neon Tetras & cory cats are schooling.
Any recommendations on a type of florescent bulb?
Thank you
So for bulbs 6500k color and as much light as possible. If you are low Tech and it seems you need more CO2, use a mid day siesta of a few hours in the lighting.

For the Riccia Fluitans, you float it or you use fishing line and tie it to objects. Note though that I it is a money wort and will never root to anything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom