New tank aquascape/temporary upgrade.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomadu571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive upgraded the my musks to this 20long for the summer.

The plan is to try a real lawn idea in the basking corner, watch this space...

Attachments

• image-1210870560.jpg
    image-1210870560.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 141
  • image-3375523659.jpg
    image-3375523659.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 159
Couple of cute pics

Attachments

• image-902023678.jpg
    image-902023678.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 135
  • image-3391213698.jpg
    image-3391213698.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 136
Nice one renegade, and thankyou momma!

I'm hoping to get the lawn in soon, just trying to find some free turf, with any luck it won't look like crap.

I like the idea of a lawn. That would be cool, and your very welcome! you did a nice job!

Here the lawn guys, it's merely stage one as Im going to have to see of it grows at all. If it does then better ideas will follow.

Attachments

• image-4147424271.jpg
    image-4147424271.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 125
  • image-1061731754.jpg
    image-1061731754.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image-454385182.jpg
    image-454385182.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 113
  • image-242774119.jpg
    image-242774119.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 111
Ok, so explain your process. I see the basking area, is the lawn area also a seperate section? Is it water-tight? What are you using for the "lawn" in terms of plants. Come on, details, details here.

Wy Renegade said:
Ok, so explain your process. I see the basking area, is the lawn area also a seperate section? Is it water-tight? What are you using for the "lawn" in terms of plants. Come on, details, details here.

Lol sorry I have not explained the process. The lawn is grass taken from normal turf, which is most likely rye grass. It's a section of turf cut to the size of a pot i had decided to use.

The pot Is a food container brought cheaply at some point in the past. Using the tall pot I filled it with a gravel mix of normal gavel and Eco complete an some slow release fert pellets, providing a small amount of nutrients, which when the soil dries on top the transpiration of the soil will drag the water from the bottom bringing nutrients as it leeches them from the fert as it passes. On top is some normal john innes type one with some stones mixed in for drainage and structure. The top is the turf layer. I have attached pics of the pot after planting. This I then simply slid into the corner or the tank, it's own weight keeping it down. I had used the empty pot in setting up to gauge the water line on the pot to make sure the water doesn't pour in over the top of the pot. The turf pot is completely sealed and is completely water tight so no leeching into the tank or vice versa. Luckily the stacked stone structure I made around the empty pot stayed in place during removal and replacement so I could literally slide the pot in and out for maintenance.

I watered the grass filling the pot to its field capacity, this giving the grass the best start, for establishment in a small pot like this it will need to be wet constantly. The battle is making sure it has enough light and of the right type for it to grow well as well as water and nutrients.

I'm hoping it will grow well and fill out nicely, any Thing happens I shall keep you both updated. The good news is that I came home today and there are turtle prints in the mud! Someone's been exploring already!

Attachments

• image-1050546704.jpg
    image-1050546704.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 103
  • image-679646492.jpg
    image-679646492.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 107
Thanks guys, the grass is definitely taking. It's growing, I'm just hoping it spreads and gets thicker, I will need to mow the lawn today try to get it growing short and thick. Also good news is there are no weeds growing in there just grass, I was afraid I'd have some massive dandelion and not much else eventually.

DragonFish71 said:
If the grass doesn't work, try using Irish or Scottish moss. It gives a nice, soft ground cover and grows quickly.

Nice one thank you for the tip.

This is the growth in a week. I think it's doing quite well, so alls hopeful for the future so far, the mind is already brimming with ideas. Thinking for the future maybe adding bulbs in the pot under the turf and trying for flowers too, but the basking light making the temp a constant high could be a problem. How would seasonal bulbs do with no season per-se. Maybe an experiment is in order...

Attachments

• image-845671426.jpg
    image-845671426.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 61
This is the growth in a week. I think it's doing quite well, so alls hopeful for the future so far, the mind is already brimming with ideas. Thinking for the future maybe adding bulbs in the pot under the turf and trying for flowers too, but the basking light making the temp a constant high could be a problem. How would seasonal bulbs do with no season per-se. Maybe an experiment is in order...

Glad to see the lawn seems to working out. The issue I see with the bulbs would be getting them to rebloom. You would have to remove them, refrigerate them for a period, and then replant them - kind of a pain.

Back
Top Bottom