New tank cannot cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drag_N

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everybody,

Here is the configuration of my new tank:
- amazon and argentine swordplant
-one of these Greek building decoration
- 2danios , 1 guppy , 1 glofish
- 74F
Here is the problem that I cannot explain to myself.
I started to introduce fish 2weeks ago. I saw some very few ammonia (0.25ppm) then the water turned very cloudy after one week. I thought it was the nitrite bloom but as of today I have no more ammonia but still no nitrite either. The water is still very cloudy. Anybody knows what's happening? I don't have nitrate either, it's like I've never introduced fish except that the water is cloudy. If anybody has an idea to help me cycle my tank, it would b very nice. Thank you

or maybe theres so little ammo the bacteria changes it to nitrites and then nitrates so fast you cant see it happen and then your plants eat the nitrates. i dont think this is possible though

Thanks for the quick answers I also think it is a lack of ammonia. But I have a 10G fish tank and 4 fishes. Isn't it supposed to b way too much for a cycle already? How can I increase the ammo? More fish? More food? How about the cloudy water, what is it in my case?

4 fish in a 10g is more than enough stock to cycle the tank. It's only been 2 weeks and if you haven't added any established media or bacteria starters then its not likely to be cycled.

I'd double check the ammonia test.

Sure I understand that it's not cycled. It can't be. I'm just trying to understand why my ammonia was so low and dropped already but nitrite hasn't shown up. Am I just being too impatient?

I'm using API master kit. For the ammonia it's just drop 8 droplets of each bottle shake for 5sec then let sit for 5min right? In your knowledge what would be another reason for cloudy water other than nitrite bloom?

Algae bloom, the sand could be stirring, dusty gravel... It could be a variety of things. Test the nitrate again as well. You could have nitrates and no ammonia... And if that's the case, you cycled amazingly quickly!

oh and if not pick up some seeded material(filter cartlidges, gravel) from your local fish store to help speed up the process but keep it wet.

Thank you so much guys. Yes I will retest the water for ammo nitrite and nitrate and keep you guys up to date

Back
Top Bottom