New tank can't decide on size???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just came across a 8' x 3' x 20" high (300gallon) with 3 overflows on Kijiji .

Very tempted to get it, also found a 150 gallon, 48"x 30" x 24"

I don't know if I'll even be able to get the bigger tank into my basement,lol

Here's a place that I bought my big tanks from. They are pretty affordable, and make decent tanks. People complain about them, but these guys are half to two thirds cheaper than the competition. View the sizes and get even more confused...lol.
Glasscages.com - Glass Aquariums

Ha...the sizes are nuts. I wish they listed by nominal gallons or something that made sense. They seem to be listed randomly.

Anyhow, you're (sort of) in my neck of the woods. Did you do pick up at a show, or freight to your door. If the latter, do you recall what it ran you? A 120 from them can't be beat for $300 and change, but since pickup for me is too far (Baltimore and Allentown are both ~2hrs from me), I'm wondering if freight will send the price over the top.

I picked up the 3 tanks at a show in Allentown Pa. It's about an hour north of me. Yes, I believe that an outside carrier would be expensive.

Thanks :) Did you use your own/existing stands or buy theirs? If theirs, how is the quality?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I saw them on the truck. They seemed pretty nice, but I didn't inspect them closely. I put all of the tanks I bought from them in wall, or in a cabinet (I bought an oddly shaped acrylic sump also).

So I have narrowed it down to two tanks .

1. A 48"x24"x30"-150gallon

2. A rimless 36"x24"x24"-100g I think.

If you are doing a reef, make sure it's shallow. I promise you'll thank me. A 30" tall tank is a PITA....trust me.

I would agree 30" would be a pain to keep clean unless you're tall and have long arms. It takes quite some time to clean just 24". When I was looking to buy my current tank, there were a lot of them for sale that had 30" or more height. I checked one out, and the first thing the guy said was he was tired of climbing on a step ladder and getting his arm soaked every time he cleaned the glass.

it's not a matter of keeping it clean...it's a matter of touching the bottom. How often are your hands in the tank now? Mine are in it almost daily...and i hate getting my armpits in it.
they are in it to kill aptasia, or straighten a knocked over frag, or to knock the sand off of something. I suggest something 21" or less.

I gotcha. My tank is a FOWLR with some soft corals. No frags are in it as they would get knocked over and never be in the same spot. A new tank over 24" would require more maintenance cleaning the glass/acrylic which would get old quick. Especially if it's a longer tank. The diatom stage would be a pain!

My 800 g is 30", a real pita to reach in there,plus I have to do it from a ladder

Ok, picked up the tank today,

It's 36"x24"x24"- rimless peninsula shape with a built in overflow box at the back with two 1.5 " outflow pipes.

I'm going to do a closed loop for circulation, want the clean look of rimless to carry on inside and outside the tank .

I'm thinking I'll drill for a 1.5" bulk head in the center of the bottom piece of glass and run my return through that, then reduce it and run 2x or 3x 3/4" lox lines to the flat/fan type fitting. I will cover the lox line in live rock mostly .

I have an extra reeflo hammerhead hybrid return pump that I'll use, should give me enough flow.

Open to thoughts/ideas on my closed loop and aqua scaping!

Will post pics tomorrow

That depends on the closed loop. I had 4 returns on my CL and the OM 4 way would alternate sending water to 2 nozzles at a time. I had a reeflo barracuda powering it. It put random flow through the entire tank. It was costly though, and I had drilled a few holes to pull it off.
An MP 40 might be enough for less money and no drilling.
This is something you will need to decide.

Here's the tank.

Started building my stand.

Using cedar 6x6 for the corners ,cut at 30". Then I will use 2x6 like joists as cross members.

Still undecided about closed loop. Have been reading up and read about a few failed bulk head seals. Hearing that is making me a little uneasy about drilling the bottom pane.

What would look better?

Open stand ie; you can see the underneath and through or cover all sides

For me, I prefer enclosed as it suppresses the noise. It's up to you though. If you want it open at times, you could attach the front using cabinet magnets. They make it easy to remove panels if you want to see and have better access to your system.

Back
Top Bottom