New Tank Decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlosk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I'm totally new to all of this and I've been doing as much research and article/post reading as I can in the last few weeks regarding aquariums and tropical freshwater fish. So I want to apologise in advance if my question is somewhat stupid or idiotic for most/all of you. But it is something that I'd like to get an opinion on from one of you experienced forum members rather than a sales person in a store.

Ok, my query is regarding a new tank. It'll be my 1st tank and I really want to have a decent set up and do all the right things that I've been reading up on. Anyway, I'm in no rush to make a purchase, but I've been scouting the local shops for an aquarium and they seem to vary in price greatly. The tanks I've been looking at are 100L to 125L tanks. It's about as much as I can afford at the minute. The tanks all seem to come "READY TO USE". So they all have the tank, heater, pump, light and filtration I guess. But my question is why the massive difference in price? My initial guess was that maybe the heater, pump, light and filtration system are far better in the more expensive tanks... is this the case? or is it just down to expensive branding?

Are the heater, pump, light and filtration system supplied with the tanks generally good to use? or are they useless and need upgrading as soon as it's affordable? If so, I'd get the cheaper tank and use the money saved to upgrade one or more of the extras required. And if you're wondering about the price difference, sometimes it's up to twice the price for the expensive tank setup.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. I have patience and time on my side, but I am eager to get going. I'm loving all the research already.

Carlosk

Last edited:
Hey im fairly new as well, been in the hobby a year or more and was wondering if a 60gallon filter 2 bubblers and a power head would be way to much flow and current for a 30 gallon tank (the power head is what id be adding) I have 3 mollies, 3 guppies,2 platies, and a peacock eel

Carlosk,
There can be a big difference between the cheapest and the most expensive in terms of quality, length of life and dependability. IMO the most important thing to have highest quality is your heater. I live in USA so I'm not familiar with what brands you have in Ireland. I have a great friend that is an active member in here and lives in Drougheda. He is a great guy and would be glad to help you. His handle in here is Ian086.

To Grod9999,
The fish you have really don't need the high flow of the power head. The 60g filter with two bubblers should be plenty of movement for them.. Welcome to AA. OS.

Carlosk,
There can be a big difference between the cheapest and the most expensive in terms of quality, length of life and dependability. IMO the most important thing to have highest quality is your heater. I live in USA so I'm not familiar with what brands you have in Ireland. I have a great friend that is an active member in here and lives in Drougheda. He is a great guy and would be glad to help you. His handle in here is Ian086.

Thanks Old Scales....

And regarding your friend in here that is from Ireland... in particular Drogheda.... well I'm from Drogheda. :dance: How crazy is that? I live just 10 mins from the town now. I'll look him up and see what advice he has to offer.

Thanks again for the information.

Back
Top Bottom