New Tank, Fish ideas.....Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlemiss1838

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I was just after some advice on a few fish if possible. Have always kept small tanks so only really has experience with guppys, tetras, shrimp etc. We have now invested in a 120lt (understand this may be small to alot of you still) and I was after some advice as to which fish you would recommend (or not) putting together?

Tank is cycled and we have just added 4 x cardinal tetras. The list below is fish we would like to keep in the future (obviously no intention to buy them all at once, will be a gradual process but would like an idea of what end result we want before i start stocking it).

Any of the following should be treated with caution? Wouldnt advise we add to a community tank?

Platies
Guppies
Pearl Gourami - Are these better in pairs or groups?
Corydoras
Amano Shrimp
Bolivian Ram - Best with one or a pair?
Snails - Any recommendations as to best ones for cleaning tank?

Question is - Can the above all go together?

Obviously we dont want to put fish in that are likely to upset anything else in there. The tank is planted with a few hiding places.

Also, can anyone suggest any colourful fish that i could add to the list? preferably ones that are happy alone or in pairs as i will have groups of the cardinals, platies and guppies so do not want to over do it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Look into the coradoras they are super fun to watch and you can get some pretty patterned ones. They agree great for bottom cleaning too. I found some pgmy coradoras. Super tiny and cute to watch swimming. Coradoras are also very friendly and can go with anything. They tend to like groups 3 or more.
Nitrate snails are totally the best in my opinion. They are fun colors. I have a tiger nitrate, but they also have some with spiky shells or blue too! I also have never had a problem with slime trails or eggs being left around my tank.
If you are looking for color I have seen cherry shrimp. They are bright red more interesting than your amano. Platies are very friendly and can pair with a lot. They have some really neat colorful ones, the bubble bee platy is really cool.

If you are buying Amanos for algae removal fine, otherwise I second the Cherry shrimp instead for colour as long as you have hiding spots for them cause most fiah will try to eat anything they think will go on their mouth

Back
Top Bottom