New tank gone south

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jThessin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well after waiting for a response to a previous post I have decided not to buy my 150 gallon tank...I just dont think 1/2" plate glass will hold up under all that weight.
So I have talked the wife into a 180 and Im thinking about doing 2 tidepool 2 Filtration systems any one have a better idea for a good sump?
I use the tidepool II on my current 135 and it does a wonderful job (much better than my 2 Magnum 350's) anyway just looking for the best solution
Thank
Jim

I have a 150 gal tank that has 1/2 inch glass and it holds up fine. Factory made.

If purchasing a large tank, definately go with a sump. I was in fact researching the Tidepool and it was recommended as a good filtration system.

Wow, I thought this thread was going to be about rampant algae, a mass fishkill, or toxic fog coming off the top of your water.

I can't wait to get a tank the size of the one you're getting. Sometime in '06. Congrats, and post pix!

Ive seen 30mm (just bairly over 1/2 inch) tempered plate glass hold back 2,000 gallons.. I think your more then fine.. :wink:
I dont honestly think it would be a problem regular .5 inch plate glass is pretty stout stuff..

Definitely let me know how that sump works out. I'm planning on using one on the larger tank I'm planning. I can't remember hearing anything really negative about the tidepool system so your probably allright going with that. You might want to ask the SW people about sumps as not alot of FW people use them so in this forum it might be hard to get some feedback on that.

I also think that the 150 gallon tank would have been fine with that thickness of glass but if you have talked the wife into a bigger tank than good job and don't look back now.

Tidepool questions answered

I love my tidepool II. The only beef I have with it is that its not really deep enough. My tank sits pretty high and being a 135 doesnt help.
I had to go to lowes and get a Pond pump that puts out around 1300 GPH
That barely gives me my 600GPH flow that the SOS prefilter can handle. But as you may know those pumps are wicked huge! I have to keep the water level a little higher thatn recommended to keep the pump fromo pushing"foamy water". On my 180 I plan on having 2 of these systems with an external pump plumbed to both units, and pushing around 1200 GPH. It says its rated for 50-120 gallon tanks but it does a fabulous job on my 135.
thanks
Jim

Back
Top Bottom