New Tank. Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MJS666

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So here's my story.

At my cousin's wedding reception, she had Betta fish in little bowls in the center of every table as a centerpiece. Of course when she gave away the centerpieces, the fish came with it. In the excitement of having a new pet I went out and bought him a 5 gallon tank, and cycled it, then put him inside. Sadly, I was unaware that he had gill disease. By the time I noticed (the next day), his left gill was unbelievably swollen and his fin was all but useless, I gave him medicine, but sadly he passed away the next day. :(

I've washed the entire tank, all of the decorations and the gravel, and re-cycled the water. But now I'm unsure of what kind of fish I want to get. I know having a 5 gallon tank limits the possibilities but I'm really interested in something besides a Betta. Maybe a more active fish? I was thinking about maybe 3 male guppies...and even maybe a dwarf frog?

Would it be overstocked? Any other fish ideas for such a small tank? I'd love any input. I'd really like multiple small active fish if at all possible.

Thanks!

Ooh sorry. It's the marineland hex 5 gallon model. Filtered and heated to around 78 degrees (hovers between 78-80).

Looking for any interesting ideas about fish.

thanks in advance!

the three guppies sounds okay to me, let the other more experienced members chime in and tell you anything else. as for the frog i dont have any experience with them but i'm not sure that would go well

thanks. Yeah everything seems to be saying that would be a good combo for the tank. I'm just worried about the bioload of the frog. Don't want to overstock. Any other ideas for fish that can be placed in my tank instead of guppies?
or maybe a fish/snail/frog/etc. that would go well with the guppies? Thanks again! :)

When you say you re-cycled that water what exactly did you do? How long has the tank been set up? Rewashing everything would be setting the true cycle of a tank back to the starting phase. A tank should go through a complete cycle before adding anything to it.

Here's a couple of links about cycling a tank.
Nitrogen Cycle

[URL]http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/23/1/Tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/Page1.html

[URL="http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html#post983258"]http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html#post983258
[/URL]
[/URL]

I was worried about disease in the water. He seemed to not only have gill disease but a sort of fungal growth on his fins that I couldn't identify. I replaced the water and it's cycled for three weeks. I saw the spike and the readings are down to 0.

Back
Top Bottom