New tank, need fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thomas Autry

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So,I have my planted tank setup, should of taken a picture. Have driftwood and large to small plants in it. Note I want to think of inhabitants for the tank. This is what I am thinking:

Congo Tetras
Cardinal Tetras
Dwarf Gouramis (flame, powder blue, neon blue)
Yellow Rainbow
Marble Hatchet
Albino Cory Cat
Emerald Cory Cat

Any compatibility issues?

The only issue I see is with the gouramis. They are territorial and will usually end up killing each other. Unless its a very large tank is say 1 per tank.

How big is the tank in question?

The only issue I see is with the gouramis. They are territorial and will usually end up killing each other. Unless its a very large tank is say 1 per tank.

How big is the tank in question?

The gouramis will only work if you stick with one male and the rest females.

Personally I think your fine! I would do 4 gouramis however. In my experience if you have 3, two of them become buddies and pick on the 3rd so I tend to keep them in even numbers! I have always kept them like this and personally have never had an issue

Yeah, I was going to keep 4 gourami. I've missed some fish before against advice from the LFS. So, if more people think it might not be a problem, I will try it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Isn't so funny that you can't find female DG, at like a specialty mom And pop store, but Walmart has them!

Personally I think your fine! I would do 4 gouramis however. In my experience if you have 3, two of them become buddies and pick on the 3rd so I tend to keep them in even numbers! I have always kept them like this and personally have never had an issue

That's completely opposite of how normal stocking for aggressive fish works. I'm not calling you a liar as it's probably just how the specific strain you have access to reacts. However The vast majority of time when you put territorial fish together they will fight and establish a pecking order. There will be one dominant one which will pick at the rest. If there aren't enough fish to divide out the aggression then the alpha will pick at the rest of them until they die.

If you really wanted to keep a bunch of dwarf gouramis I would suggest no less than 7 of them with keeping a ton of hiding spots.

That's completely opposite of how normal stocking for aggressive fish works. I'm not calling you a liar as it's probably just how the specific strain you have access to reacts. However The vast majority of time when you put territorial fish together they will fight and establish a pecking order. There will be one dominant one which will pick at the rest. If there aren't enough fish to divide out the aggression then the alpha will pick at the rest of them until they die.

If you really wanted to keep a bunch of dwarf gouramis I would suggest no less than 7 of them with keeping a ton of hiding spots.

With the large array of plants and hiding spots he has in his tank? I'm very confident 4 would okay especially in that size tank! I am not getting argumentative just putting in my 2 cents based on my experience. I've put dwarf guaramis and even regular guaramis in groups of 2 or larger in many of my community aquariums and even customers aquariums and not once have had a problem. I've only had issues when there are odd numbers. Again this is just my experience and all f the tanks have been planted with lots of hiding spots and 55 gallons or larger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom