New tank need help.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BecaB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I my husband and I recently purchased a used tank at a fish store that came with everything... I did buy new rocks and some decorations but have the same run of the mill carbon filter filtration system. We set the tank up at least 2 weeks ago, and we added fish 1 weeks ago.. I started with 6 fish and now I only have 2. I got all kinds of Tetras because is heard they are hardy and with my PH levels being 7.8 and being unable no matter what I do to get it down I was told they would be ok but one by one the dropped off... I have tried adjusting and readjusting the tank water and nothing works... I heard the African cichlids are good in higher PH water but I really wanted to get a community tank and they don't play well with others... I'm not sure what else to do..... PLZ HELP!!!

I my husband and I recently purchased a used tank at a fish store that came with everything... I did buy new rocks and some decorations but have the same run of the mill carbon filter filtration system. We set the tank up at least 2 weeks ago, and we added fish 1 weeks ago.. I started with 6 fish and now I only have 2. I got all kinds of Tetras because is heard they are hardy and with my PH levels being 7.8 and being unable no matter what I do to get it down I was told they would be ok but one by one the dropped off... I have tried adjusting and readjusting the tank water and nothing works... I heard the African cichlids are good in higher PH water but I really wanted to get a community tank and they don't play well with others... I'm not sure what else to do..... PLZ HELP!!!

Sorry you are losing fish, I don't think it's your Ph killing your fish. Your tank is so new it has not been properly cycled. Please read this and then ask questions if you have any:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I would leave the Ph alone, trying to adjust it will do more harm than good. Most fish will adjust to whatever your Ph level is.

Have you done any water changes? If so, how large? Do you test your own water? If so what are the ammo, nitrite, nitrate levels?

Thanks so much for the advice and I will read more about the cycling
I went and took the water to the store before I purchased the fish I have( and had) and everything was perfect except the PH was high so I bought a kit and test it every few days and for the past week even with the fish in it still is high. I know growing the bacteria is importaint and "starter fish" may be lost because of this but I'm gla to know the PH isn't my main issue. Any advice for a community tank that may be better adjusted to the PH??

BecaB said:
Thanks so much for the advice and I will read more about the cycling
I went and took the water to the store before I purchased the fish I have( and had) and everything was perfect except the PH was high so I bought a kit and test it every few days and for the past week even with the fish in it still is high. I know growing the bacteria is importaint and "starter fish" may be lost because of this but I'm gla to know the PH isn't my main issue. Any advice for a community tank that may be better adjusted to the PH??

Do you know if the store used strips or a liquid test? The strips are inaccurate & while your tank is cycling you should have your own liquid test so you can track your parameters & do water changes as necessary. You will lose all of your fish if the tank is not properly cycled. Adding any fish at this point will lead to more losses until the tank is cycled. If you add too many fish at one time it can cause ammonia spikes that the BB (beneficial bacteria) can't handle so fish need to be added over a period of time. My understanding is pretty much any fish will adjust to your Ph. I have all Bettas in my tanks so I'm not real familiar with other types but you can post a thread under the getting started forum & those more experienced will advise. Be prepared to answer the questions about your tank (size, water parameters, how long it's been set up). I have been fish IN cycling 2 tanks simultaneously & have not lost any fish, it's been 8 weeks for one tank & the other seems to have completed its cycling at around 6-7 wks. It's been a bit of a hassle but I wanted to keep all of my fish alive so it's been test water changes test water changes test water changes! Good luck with yours.

Back
Top Bottom