New tank - Need stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I I just bought a 6 gallon nano tank. Could some body please tell me how many fish I could put in this.

Not many options for an 8 gallon tank. You could maybe do a coral and invert tank? I've got an urge to do a nano tank with a 10 gallon I have and I think that's the route I would go. Just one option. Though if you want a fish in there maybe a firefish would work ? I have one in my 75 and its a very interesting fish.

or you could put in a royal gramma, they seem to be very popular nano reef fish. Or a catalina goby. They both have awesome coloration

I want about 2 ocellaris clownfish. And is there any wrasse species that can go in a tank like that. Or a flame angel.

Foskett96 said:
I want about 2 ocellaris clownfish. And is there any wrasse species that can go in a tank like that. Or a flame angel.

No no no. Cant put 1 clown in that tank, flame angels require larger tanks and nip at corals if you wanted some, and wrasse are for experts only. They are difficult to keep and feed

Gboy66 said:
No no no. Cant put 1 clown in that tank, flame angels require larger tanks and nip at corals if you wanted some, and wrasse are for experts only. They are difficult to keep and feed

I agree with everything except the last part. While most wrasse species need larger tank, most of them aren't for experts only.

A clown goby would be happy. Or pistol shrimp goby combo

Foskett96 said:
But I have seen clowns in this size tank and smaller.

I've seen an 8 inch Oscar in a 20gal, doesn't make it right though.....

BallinCrew10 said:
I agree with everything except the last part. While most wrasse species need larger tank, most of them aren't for experts only.

True i guess. Im just sayin, iv heard people That have picky wrasse, and can only feed them live moving food. Seems pretty difficult though

Gboy66 said:
True i guess. Im just sayin, iv heard people That have picky wrasse, and can only feed them live moving food. Seems pretty difficult though

Yes some of them are definatly not recommended for the beginner. Unfortunately some of the most beautiful ones are the most difficult.

Ewatson249 said:
Sixline wrasse are ok for a beginner in my opinion.

Absolutly, it was second in my tank after my clowns. Its still one of my favorites and very easy to care for. Although an 8 gallon tank is too small for a sixline.

I also dont really agree with the statement that six lines are only for experts. I have had my sixline for well over a year and the only thing they really require is high water quality which isn't all that difficult to maintain.

Well he never specified a sixline. He said wrasses in general. Which is partly true, some species of wrasse are for expert only.

Ya i didnt specify, i just font want the op to get into anything he isnt prepared for!

But I have seen clowns in this size tank and smaller.
Yes I have too but how long do they live? I know someone that had 2 clowns over 20 years old one recently died. They were both in at least 55 gallon tank I really think if you decide to do a small tank like that you might be able to get by with one Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Neon Blue Goby - Tank-Bred but in reality that tank is 20% less than a 10 gallon think about taking 20% of your home away and see how stressful it becomes.

Back
Top Bottom