New tank, new build, new fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don-Lino said:
Right so I've been working on my stocking this weekend don't think I've looked at so many fish haha, this ain't the final stock, I'm just looking at a few ideas and not sure on how many or what ratios(m to f), but how does this sound so far?
yellow labs,
Mbamba yellow top
Cynotilapia Afra red top
Metriaclima pulpican
Pseudotropheus soclofi,
Would these all be ok?

Be handy if I was a Latin scholar. Haha

Steo the great said:
Be handy if I was a Latin scholar. Haha

Haha I know It confuses me sometimes lol, you got any input on wether these will be ok?

AndrewsPistol said:
3 females for every male :)

I was gonna go for 4 so the male has some variety lol, do u think these will be ok together?

Don-Lino said:
I was gonna go for 4 so the male has some variety lol, do u think these will be ok together?

Can I be honest with you? Have u seen my mix? Lol... I didn't really follow too much of a guideline... I have 18 fish, of those there is only 3 confirmed females, I tried to get females but I live in a small town and my selection was limited :).... So I suppose just about anything "could" work.... I will probably catch h*ll from an expert for saying that lol!

AndrewsPistol said:
Can I be honest with you? Have u seen my mix? Lol... I didn't really follow too much of a guideline... I have 18 fish, of those there is only 3 confirmed females, I tried to get females but I live in a small town and my selection was limited :).... So I suppose just about anything "could" work.... I will probably catch h*ll from an expert for saying that lol!

Haha yeah I've seen your set-up, looks really nice and I want that one fish you have I'll have a look what it's called in a min lol :) So basically it's abit of trial and error to see which fish get along? I know a breeder that has African cichlids so 'hopefully' he'll have an idea of which are females and males.

Don-Lino said:
Haha yeah I've seen your set-up, looks really nice and I want that one fish you have I'll have a look what it's called in a min lol :) So basically it's abit of trial and error to see which fish get along? I know a breeder that has African cichlids so 'hopefully' he'll have an idea of which are females and males.

Pretty much :) Thank you! I just found a breeder yesterday with an awesome selection! Really wish I woulda found him in the beginning, but it is what it is :) I'm having some power struggles now but I'm sure that's due to my Peacock trying to establish boss status :) just have tons of hiding spots :) I'm working on that still!

AndrewsPistol said:
Pretty much :) Thank you! I just found a breeder yesterday with an awesome selection! Really wish I woulda found him in the beginning, but it is what it is :) I'm having some power struggles now but I'm sure that's due to my Peacock trying to establish boss status :) just have tons of hiding spots :) I'm working on that still!

Just seen the fish of yours I WANT lol it's your cross breed mutt I think you said it was, awesome looking fish!
You can't beat breeders, all the lfs around here have the same selection, I need some variety lol. I've got a few ideas for caves and hiding spots just need to make my mind up on wether I want holey rock or slate. Lol.

AndrewsPistol said:

I doubt your peacock will be boss for long.Chances are your mbuna will overpower him and he will be a shadow of his former self.In my experience mbuna and peacocks don't work long term.Just my experiences though.

Don-Lino said:
Just seen the fish of yours I WANT lol it's your cross breed mutt I think you said it was, awesome looking fish!
You can't beat breeders, all the lfs around here have the same selection, I need some variety lol. I've got a few ideas for caves and hiding spots just need to make my mind up on wether I want holey rock or slate. Lol.

Isn't he AWESOME!! So happy that he wasn't used as a feeder lol! He has the BEST personality and DIGS all day :) he is soo cool :) I got 27 pounds of tiger stripe rock from ebay for 27 bucks with free shipping I constructed little caves for em using silicone :) I wanted holey rock but it wad expensive!

garfy said:
I doubt your peacock will be boss for long.Chances are your mbuna will overpower him and he will be a shadow of his former self.In my experience mbuna and peacocks don't work long term.Just my experiences though.

I'll try remember this 2, not sure if I want peacocks in my tank yet but gd to know anyway :)

AndrewsPistol said:
Isn't he AWESOME!! So happy that he wasn't used as a feeder lol! He has the BEST personality and DIGS all day :) he is soo cool :) I got 27 pounds of tiger stripe rock from ebay for 27 bucks with free shipping I constructed little caves for em using silicone :) I wanted holey rock but it wad expensive!

Yeah he is, if I was in the US I'd consider stealing him hahaha :) I'm gonna have to try hunt one of those down lol.
Never heard or seen tiger stripe rock, sounds cool lol gonna go check that out now, and yeah holey rock is mad expensive I'll have to hide the receipt from my gf If I get some haha

Don-Lino said:
Yeah he is, if I was in the US I'd consider stealing him hahaha :) I'm gonna have to try hunt one of those down lol.
Never heard or seen tiger stripe rock, sounds cool lol gonna go check that out now, and yeah holey rock is mad expensive I'll have to hide the receipt from my gf If I get some haha

He is the biggest besides the empress and dimidiochromis and everyone is scared of him... For now lol

AndrewsPistol said:
He is the biggest besides the empress and dimidiochromis and everyone is scared of him... For now lol

Is that a red empress? I Love those fish 2 lol

I have 2 Red Empress and 1 red Peacock :) And a Compressiceps, he is pretty cool too! And then all the little guys :) I have a thread called Let me see your Africans. You should check it out, lots of cool fish! Might give u an awesome idea of what kind of fish u want :) My friend Convict on here has a SUPER rad tank, lots of Anubius n hiding spots and cool fish! He just posted a ton of pics too :)

AndrewsPistol said:
I have 2 Red Empress and 1 red Peacock :) And a Compressiceps, he is pretty cool too! And then all the little guys :) I have a thread called Let me see your Africans. You should check it out, lots of cool fish! Might give u an awesome idea of what kind of fish u want :) My friend Convict on here has a SUPER rad tank, lots of Anubius n hiding spots and cool fish! He just posted a ton of pics too :)

Theres So many fish to choose from lol.
I checked that thread out the other day, gonna try find it again, should be a lot more pics up now, I'll check it out thx :)

Don-Lino said:
Theres So many fish to choose from lol.
I checked that thread out the other day, gonna try find it again, should be a lot more pics up now, I'll check it out thx :)

You will have to post pics of Urs when u get em too!

Back
Top Bottom