New tank. New ideas. Help me out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marshallc

Aquarium Advice Regular
So went to see my buddy at the pet smart he works at and a customer had returned a 40 gallon breeder. They were gonna toss it when I offered to buy it I got it for 40$ :)

Currently I have a 55 planted but sadly the plants all started to take a turn for the worst. So now I'm thinking of doing a new planted tank and re doing the 55.

I am using sand in the 55 I like it but I don't like that it started turning dark brown( I used pool filter sand) so I am debating on taking the fish out and placing them in the 35 gallon I have just to clean out all the sand and go with something else.

My first thought is using Eco complete in both tanks with some small areas of sand as a beach effect or lake. The 55 gallon is currently running lights from aqua traders. http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-4x54W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52305p.htm

Am thinking of using those same lights on the 40 as they have been great on the 55.

I am really interested in doing co2. Tried the DIY but was very unimpressed. So looking to go pressurized if I can. Still reading how some setups are done as the kits are a bit much.

I will post pics of the 55 tomorrow it used to look great but sadly it's hurting right now.

Advice I'm looking for:
Co2

Eco complete? Or stick with sand and root tabs
Will doing a carpet be much more difficult on sand? If so may just start it on driftwood.

With those lights what will be some good background plants to go with. The last ones I tried I think the lights were to much for it and melted it.

Pressurized co2 vs using excel. I wouldn't mind a small carpeting plant but I love rotalas and heard they are near impossible without co2.

So let me throw this at you since I have rambled so much. If I gave you a 40 gallon with a budget of around 500$ what would be your plans for it. Filter and heater are taken car of already so I don't need those.

No fish will be added until plants are established and growing good. Maybe some shrimp or a couple rasboras from my 55 after cycle just to add some waste to help with plants.

I'm curious to see what options are out there and since with my schedule I really don't get the time I want to go look at all the plants out there. I really love some that have red to them. And also swords even though the ones in my 55 didn't do so great. And I love learning about planted tanks I find them so relaxing and beautiful. My kids love them and my wife does as well.

Thank you for reading if you made it this far. So much going on in my head its hard to control it all. So happy to have another tank and so ready to do another planted and hopefully have better success this time.

This is a lot! But do want to say that Rotala do fine using liquid carbon and not CO2. I ran a high light tank using dry ferts and only liquid carbon for well over a year and my plants did great. CO2 will make the plants grow faster and fuller.

I use Eco Complete in all my tanks. Plus they now have a new "fine" grain one if you like the look of sand. Regular sand if fine if you like it, I'm just not a fan.

A 40B is long and more shallow so with good lighting you could do water sprite, wisteria, many of the rotala's and ludwigia's. Bacopa, Ambulia, and many other stem plants.

I personally use Eco complete in one of my planted tanks, and love it. I do still add root tabs for the heavy root feeders. I currently use glut and the PPS-Pro method of dosing fertilizers. I grow various types of rotela species without using a pressurized system though I am strongly looking into making the switch. I'm sure Rivercats will chime in about her experience both with PPS-pro, Eco complete, and CO2 vs Glut. Best of luck, I'll be checking back to see how the build comes along!

Thank you for your replys. I am still in the learning of planted tanks so I ramble on a bit when trying to learn.

I do like sand but it can be a pain also so I thin Eco complete will be going into the 40b

With your light and being new to plants you can easily start with using Liquid carbon and move into CO2 when you get more comfortable. I use Metricide 14 day solution as it is much cheaper than Excel. 1 gallon costs about $20 and when mixed at a 1:1 ratio with RO or distilled water makes it very economical. Dosing starts at 1ml per 10g and then up to 1ml Glut to every 5 gallons of tank water.

Hmm may have to look into that. Excel was doing good and was also using flourish root tabs but no matter what I did my swords just wouldn't grow anymore. Every plant originally started in my 35 then when they started doing really well I decided to move them to the 55. Everything but swords seemed to do well.

Edit. Just found a brand new fluval 306 I'm going to go pick up and use that as the filtration on the 40b

Anyone have a good place to possibly order plants online that they have had experience with. Preferably one with good pictures of the plants not just a generic one.

Swords only grow to a certain height depending on species and once attained they just continue to grow new leaves. As long as the leaves are green and healthy then they are fine. Swords use a lot of phosphate and iron so using root tabs containing these on a regular basis is needed to keep them flourishing.

I have Eco Complete Fine Grained gravel and under that is under some Seachem Flourite sand. I use Flourish too and my plants are thriving. My lighting is good as well.

image-4103553423.jpg

New plants I picked up today

May leave in the 55 otherwise they will migrate to the 40 when it's up and running

And this is what's happening in the 55

Attachments

• image-1924562430.jpg
    image-1924562430.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 59
Right in the middle of that bottom picture looks like a glob of cyanobacteria. Is there a blue green sheet of algae beginning to grow on things? Does that come off easily? I see some BBA starting but that glob, if cyanobacteria needs to have the tank treated with Erythromycin.

Yes there has been a few spots of it growing. Can I get that at petsmart or lfs?

Most people use Maracyn but any Erythromycin is fine. You can order it online cheaper than most pet shops but most shops will carry it. Follow the directions for a 5 day tank treatment and before the treatment vacuum as much of it out of the tank as you can. Erythromycin won't kill BB but you can get a slight ammonia spike due to the cyanobacteria dying.

Did first dose today hopefully it'll help. What can I do about the bb

Did first dose today hopefully it'll help. What can I do about the bb

Erythromycin won't kill BB but you can get a slight ammonia spike due to the cyanobacteria dying.

It should stay dying off in a couple days but be sure to use all 5 days of treatment!

Yea just wondering what I need to do to battle the bb. I miss how beautiful the cryptos looked before and want them to thrive :(

BB means beneficial bacteria. BBA is Black brush algae. So are you asking how to get rid of the BBA? Run lights only 6 hours daily, use root tabs for your crypts as they draw nutrients via their roots, and spot treat the BBA AFTER your done treating with the Erythromycin. Also you need to start using liquid carbon or CO2 and what lights and bulbs are you using in the tank currently?

That's good that your only running two bulbs. If you run 4 bulbs you will need to add some fast growing stem plants and start using an increased dose of liquid carbon or CO2. Also running lights only 6 hours always helps when having algae issue.

I've also left my inline uv on just for good measure. Sad day though I lost one of gbr's :( noticed him behind one of my plants just a few minutes ago

Back
Top Bottom