New Tank/New to Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumico

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am thinking about attempting a saltwater aquarium. I have been looking at the 12 gallon nanocube and the 14 gallon biocube.

Would these be large enough to start a reef and have a couple of small fish? I plan on starting slowly and adding to it over time, and possibly getting a larger tank if/when I move into a bigger house.

What modifications, if any, would need to be made to these tanks to support a reef and a couple of fish?

Is one pound of live rock and 1 pound of live sand reasonable for this setup?

Thanks. I'll post back with my progress as I build/buy/do things.

It's an OK size to start, but one pound of both live rock and sand is nowhere near enough. You "need" 1 pound of both per gallon at least, but to be honest, with the rock, I'd do 2 pounds per gallon. You will have great biological filtration.

Ill second that, also before you deciede Wat size you want have à think Wat fish and corals you want as the more homework you do will make it easier in the long run.

Thanks for the help.

Would this stuff be ok for a 12 gallon nanocube?

Drs. Foster & Smith Select Nano Live Rock
API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit
Jager Thermostat Heater
Reef Crystals Synthetic Sea Salt
Instant Ocean Hydrometer

What am I missing?

I would drop the hydrometer and get à ractrometer as they are more accurate and will pay more in the long run also if you want to keep corals get à master reef test kit. Are you mixing your own salt water or buying it from your lfs?

Live rock is definitely crucial in a nano tank. However, my tank quickly ran out of space. Try to have as much of an idea of what your going to do as possible. I would have bought a little less rock when I set up my 5 gallon. Also, fish are going to be difficult. Depends on what fish you want but it's hard to put much in that small f a tank. I only had coral in my 5.

Being new to saltwater myself I've heard time and time again that a smaller tank is harder. Being new to aquariums I would suggest a 20g tank, It will give you a few more gallons of water to help keep levels more... level and not take up a ton of space.

It might also be a good idea to look at adding a refugium onto a tank that size, you can use a large HOB breeding box with a clip on LED to add some macro algae to which will help with nutrient export. Or if you go with the standard 20g route there should be enough space underneath the stand to add in a 10g refugium which would be even better and allow you to get peripheral devices like the heater out of the DT

Back
Top Bottom