New tank owner that needs help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maria011

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there! I have 20 gallon fish tank, it's been set up for 4 days and doing fishless cycle.. I was hoping everything goes fine, but unfortunately the water is getting cloudy. As a new tank owner, is it what they called NTS (New tank syndrome)? I am excited to get my dwarf gouramis but i don't know if it's safe for them.. ?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have a liquid test kit? If it's cloudy it's probably hair a bacterial bloom, I wouldn't worry about it.:)

"It doesn't matter if your on the same page, it matters if your in the same BOOK."
~Platy lover~

Welcome to the community! In my signature there is a link for an article for new tank keepers, from that article there are links for more interesting bits of info.

A 4 day old tank set up wouldn't be ready for a Dwarf Gourami, and if it is a fishless cycle then you will have a few more weeks to wait.

Are you using an ammonia source? And yes it is just usually a bacterial bloom with the cloudiness. A bacterial bloom is not necessarily an issue for fish well being but the new tank right now would likely have higher ammonia and would be an issue.

Fishless cycle will usually take 4-5 weeks or more depending upon temps and ammonia dosing. Do you have a friend with some filter media they might be able to share to seed the BB?

Test kit like API liquid test kit, is a major tool required for new fish keeping. Whether you decide on a fish in or fishless cycle, it's most useful!

Do you already have the Dwarf Gourami(s)?

Thanks for both of your responses..
Actually the pet store did a water test for me and they said it was okay and then they advice me to put water clarifier and I did it seems not working tho?...
But, is the fishless cycle is necessary for new tanks? As said, it will take up to 5 weeks and it is a long wait lol
I don't have it yet but so excited to get dwarf gouramis. ?

You can do a fish-in cycle, but you will need to get a liquid test kit to constantly monitor to make sure the levels stay low enough to not be too toxic to your fish. (But as Autumnsky said, it would be a good idea to get a liquid test kit regardless of whether you do fish-in or fishless, to help make sure your tank is healthy.) You will then need to do frequent water changes to ensure your fish aren't harmed. You will also probably want to start with some hardy fish who can survive the cycle.

It's a personal choice, but honestly, I would rather wait out the fishless cycle rather than do a bunch of extra work and worry about the well-being of my fish.

Erla makes spot on points.

The Fish In cycle is on the links from the article in my signature as well. Read up on it to decide. MUCH more work.

The fish store is incorrect about the water being okay to add fish. The reason is due to the nitrogen cycle. That very moment you took the water in it might have been safe for a fish to be in (and maybe not - you need to have them write down or tell you and you can record the info yourself) the ammonia, the NitrIte, NitrAte - also useful are the hardness, pH and alkalinity, also often measured on a test STRIP they usually use. Also it depends if the test strip is accurate.

I can personally say I WAS a fan of test strips (because I had double checked their results with the liquid test kit and it was verified accurate) for quick testing until I lost a tank full of fish after a test strip said all was well and in fact there was very high nitrIte and I lost almost every fish. So the test strips were accurate until they weren't and how does one know. The other test measurement sections on the strip were still accurate and I made sure to keep the bottle contents in a tightly sealed lid with the desicant pack in there to absorb any excess moisture as well and never left the lid off /opened) btw...

So... the tank processes ammonia from fish waste and food and plant decomposition/ waste which turns into ammonium, then there is nitrogen which (not scientific terms specifically) is "eaten" and/ processesed by BB - beneficial bacteria (also utilized by plants), and turned into nitrIte, which breaks down in time into nitrAte which in time will become safe water for fish to be in. Denitrification.

The beneficial bacteria is not present in a new system in an amount to be able to process the waste so they grow and colonize to break down the waste and you will eventually get enough BB to be able to handle a tank stocked with fish.

So in fishless cycle you use an ammonia source like pure ammonia, a piece of raw shrimp or fish food to create ammonia so the bb will have something to eat and can grow to be able to process more and more to full capacity amount of a full tank.

Fish in means you change the water over and over at the point it starts to become unsafe, dangerous /toxic so you don't injure your fish. Some fish can live in a polluted, unsafe and dangerous enviroment and not die. That doesn't mean they haven't been injured though, which can hurt them and even later kill them. For example ammonia can burn their gills and make them nearly useless for taking in O2.

NitrIte binds to the hemoglobin in fish blood and doesn't allow the fish to get the amount of O2 needed to breathe and just a VERY small amount .5 can kill fish or make them weak enough that they can die later from infections, etc.

Last edited:
Hi there... I have now 4 new born fry!!! They are dalmatian mollies I think.. help I don't know how to take care of them, they might in danger from other fish.. they might eat my new born fry

Congrats!

Check out a breeder net, available at the lfs.

Hikari Fry food called First Bites is available at most lfs. Parents and other fish will eat them. On the positive side, if you have a pair, you will likely get lots more babies in your time with them in your tanks.

CAUTION: It is a very fine granulated powder. Use the end of a toothpick to get some. You will be shocked how much is on the end of a toothpick. And no kidding a TINY little bit on the end of a toothpick. observe the top of the water and see the large amount of food particles.

Also check out a prefilter if you are headed to the lfs anyway. you can use a Fluval Edge little black sponge - use a name brand one they are longer lasting and don't cave in /collapse around the intake filter tube from the HOB. Good so the fry don't get sucked up in the intake.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...pv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fluval edge pre-filter sponge

You can feed tiny amonts up to around 5x per day when they are really young.

Do daily pwc of at least something to keep the water good and check parameters often. A seperate tank /is a good idea.

Last edited:
Congrats!

Check out a breeder net, available at the lfs.

Hikari Fry food called First Bites is available at most lfs. Parents and other fish will eat them. On the positive side, if you have a pair, you will likely get lots more babies in your time with them in your tanks.

CAUTION: It is a very fine granulated powder. Use the end of a toothpick to get some. You will be shocked how much is on the end of a toothpick. And no kidding a TINY little bit on the end of a toothpick. observe the top of the water and see the large amount of food particles.

Also check out a prefilter if you are headed to the lfs anyway. you can use a Fluval Edge little black sponge - use a name brand one they are longer lasting and don't cave in /collapse around the intake filter tube from the HOB. Good so the fry don't get sucked up in the intake.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...pv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fluval edge pre-filter sponge

You can feed tiny amonts up to around 5x per day when they are really young.

Do daily pwc of at least something to keep the water good and check parameters often. A seperate tank /is a good idea.

Hmm... my Fluval Edge sponge caved in after and few days but the one I bought online (and THOROUGHLY rinsed) hasn't caved in for more than two months.

Just putting my opinion out there :D And congratulations and good luck with the fry!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hmm... my Fluval Edge sponge caved in after and few days but the one I bought online (and THOROUGHLY rinsed) hasn't caved in for more than two months.

Just putting my opinion out there :D And congratulations and good luck with the fry!

Yes, good info! My friend bought a 12 pack and shared half of them with me and they started collapsing in after a couple weeks, a little at first and then more gradually worse and worse - my Fluval ones were months. Though the ones I have were purchased from Fluval over a year ago and maybe they cheaped out on more recent productions?!? Just a thought. You were lucky to get better ones!

Yes, good info! My friend bought a 12 pack and shared half of them with me and they started collapsing in after a couple weeks, a little at first and then more gradually worse and worse - my Fluval ones were months. Though the ones I have were purchased from Fluval over a year ago and maybe they cheaped out on more recent productions?!? Just a thought. You were lucky to get better ones!

You're lucky to have gotten good Fluval ones - they're expensive! I got three sponges online for a dollar including shipping which is crazy for me since the Fluval ones here are around $10 without gas expenses for me.

OP, If you're buying online make sure you look at the reviews. I got mine online and some almost identical ones to the sponges I used cost more and were a lot worse according to reviews.

Thank you!! Omg they are not only 4.. I have 16 fry now and now I am planning to move them in different tank..

Back
Top Bottom