new tank setup- filter seeded from established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mortis33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My daughter and I always take a look around the LFS to see whats available. a few weeks ago we spotted an african dwarf frog, and she immediately fell in love. she wouldnt stop talking about it. about 2 days later, we went to pick one up. being 5 yrs old, she wanted it in her room, and I have several old aquariums sittingin the basement. I picked out the 10 gal- and we brought home "Coffee", as well as 8 various colored guppies to keep her company.

I have had a frog in the past, it was a hardy little thing in my 29 Gal community tank, and lived almost 5 yrs!

anyways- we setup the aquarium, and seeded the new filter with 1/2 a sponge from the established tank, and 1/2 of the water was also from the 29 Gal. Our problem is this:

The froggie died after about a week. poor guy got sucked up the intake of the aquaclear. I cut a little hole in the middle of a new aquaclear sponge for the intake tube, to avoid another mishap with either fish, fry or potential new frogs. :/ but the fish looked healthy, for the most part, we had 2 deaths the second day of being setup. 2 of the pregnant females give birth. so we now had 6 adult guppies and about 15 fry. went to the store, for another frog. (didnt tell my daughter coffee passed away) this one seemed smaller but was super active.. but after examining it in depth, it seemed to be fighting to stay submerged.. kept floating to the top. it passed on just a few days later. but also in the last few days, all but 1 adult guppy and 4 fry have succumbed to a mystery illness.

yesterday i took everything out of the aquarium, leaving no substrate, and just a few self-sinking fake plants. washed all in super hot water, and rinsed the aquaclear filter media out, and while doing this i noticed the sponge has pink slime on the inside. and the sponge around the intake is also a bright pink. I dont know what that is. The last adult guppy is showing signs of fungal growth on it, and the fry have a few spots too.
I went right away to the LPS and picked up some tetra Fungus guard. added one tab ( directions say 1 tab / 10 Gal), and took out the charcoal in the filter compartment.

To my surprise, as i got home today, hubby had come home from work.... with another african dwarf frog, along with a fancy blue male guppy and put them in the sick aquarium. I dont know if this medication is harmful to frogs, but since its been in the sick tank with the sick guppies, I dont want to place it in my healthy 29 gal :( what do i do?

I know i panicked and probably killed off all beneficial bacteria with my total aquarium change, and filter rinse. but i figure if i do partial water changes daily, and keep an eye on nitrate/nitrite and ammonia lvls.. we should be ok. is it too late to add more sponge from old filter or could that have been the problem?

I feel like this little 10 gal is more work than m,y 29 gallon or even 55 gallon ever were. but its my little girls first tank,a nd shes got her heart set on having them in her own room.

please any advice anyone could give on my current messy situation, would be great.

It does indeed sound like a fungus but I've never seen it come in pink. Thats a fast death from fungus though....you may have other water problems. First get a new sponge. Second decontaminate every thing with a mild bleach solution, and rinse, rinse and rinse again. Frogs don't need established bacterial colonies the way fish do and are very susceptible to fungal diseases. Use FRESH declorinated water & some bact. Starter if you wish. Try it in an inch or 2 of water with a rock...see if it will eat black worms or maybe a small cricket. Add more water & guppies as you go along...the frogs may eat them. It's also possible that the frogs are stressed beyond repair so consider a new source. They are very hardy usually. Do not ever think of disposing of the frog someday be letting it go...THEY ARE AN INVASIVE SPECIES that are causing problems in some parts of the USA by kind but clueless keepers. good luck. N83259

Back
Top Bottom