New Tank Setup - New to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilkes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Excited to see how you get on with this as I'm considering marine in the future. What are the basics you need for a 20gal setup for example? What's a skimmer? Can you use the regular pump/filter setup you get with jewel tanks?

Hi Wilkes, I moved this post to it's own thread, since the subject of the other thread was the OP's tank.

What you would need for a setup depends greatly on the goals for your tank. What what you want to keep in the tank?

Coral? FOWLR?

It would just be for a a small amount of fish like a pair of clowns and possibly a goby with a shrimp or such like. Totally new to saltwater so just exploring the options to be honest... I only have a freshwater aquarium at the moment so it would need converting

So I just got a new 20 gal setup and u will need 20 one of sand 40 lbs of live rock and aquarium salt and a power head and also dome ammonia and nitrite and nitrate test trips and for filtration get and emporer 250

Krocky12 said:
So I just got a new 20 gal setup and u will need 20 one of sand 40 lbs of live rock and aquarium salt and a power head and also dome ammonia and nitrite and nitrate test trips and for filtration get and emporer 250

How much did all that cost you?

Did you need a skimmer? And I have read you have to use RO water? That's bought from the LFS right? I need to buy a book really sorry for the novice questions

I don't have a skimmer yet and Imonly on day 22 of having it setup and I didn't use ro water. I just decorated mine and then added salt and add 20 pounds of sand and rock. Everything has worked out so far

I don't have a skimmer yet and Imonly on day 22 of having it setup and I didn't use ro water. I just decorated mine and then added salt and add 20 pounds of sand and rock. Everything has worked out so far

Do not just use tap water conditioned because you will more then likely have a terrible algae outbreak and will only cause problems and also never use strips for a SW tank...parameters have to be kept in check more so then a FW so accuracy to your test is key..as for your setup it could be done with a HOB filter, a powerhead, heater, and live rock (substrate is optional)

Edit*and for a skimmer I wouldn't even use one until your over 30 gallons

That's what I'm doing I got he more else test kit after my diatoms and before I got a fish

Mrc8858 said:
Do not just use tap water conditioned because you will more then likely have a terrible algae outbreak and will only cause problems and also never use strips for a SW tank...parameters have to be kept in check more so then a FW so accuracy to your test is key..as for your setup it could be done with a HOB filter, a powerhead, heater, and live rock (substrate is optional)

Edit*and for a skimmer I wouldn't even use one until your over 30 gallons

What's a hob filter? Can you use the built in jewel pump and filters?

HOB = Hang On Back.

FYI for all, for a lot of common aquarium related abbreviations, if you hover your mouse over the abbreviation, it will tell you what it is short for.

fort384 said:
HOB = Hang On Back.

FYI for all, for a lot of common aquarium related abbreviations, if you hover your mouse over the abbreviation, it will tell you what it is short for.

I'm using the app on my iPhone so I don't have that luxury unfortunately but Thankyou for your help. If I have time after work at some point this week I will have a look at the LFS get some pricing ideas. So the check list for so far is a HOB filter, power head, salt, RO water, sand and Live rock

Ya and a powerstrip ;) ...really though you should look into a rodi unit they really aren't too expensive and are worth every penny

Mrc8858 said:
Ya and a powerstrip ;) ...really though you should look into a rodi unit they really aren't too expensive and are worth every penny

Haha what's that? And powerstrip?

A power strip is like an extension of ur electrical cord and instead of having like 6 or 7 on separate outlets u have a powerstrip were the 6 or 7 outleta r on it and it only uses one out let and ro/Di is reverse osmosis and deionized

Krocky12 said:
A power strip is like an extension of ur electrical cord and instead of having like 6 or 7 on separate outlets u have a powerstrip were the 6 or 7 outleta r on it and it only uses one out let and ro/Di is reverse osmosis and deionized

Argh I get you now a multi socket plug. We have a huge RO plant at work hmmm. If not how do you go about water changes if your not supposed to use tap water... Go to the Lfs and stock pile water ?

Either buy the water by the gallon as pure RO water, buy premixed saltwater, or buy an Ro/Di and mix your own(most cost effective and no emergency trips for top off water)

Back
Top Bottom