New Tank Setup - what other fish to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J D

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm pretty new to all this, but so far this is my tank:

30 gallons

1 Bristlenose Pleco
6 Zebra Danios
2 Albino Cories
3 Mollies (1 Black and 2 Dalmation)

The 2 dalmations are male/female, and it turns out that the black one is a male (I thought it was a female). Lately at feeding time, the mollies get crazy aggressive and will fight each other as well as other fish. Also saw the black one nip on the pleco's fins. I'm thinking of exchanging the black mollie for a female, or just giving away the 3 mollies in general.

If I give all 3 away, what other fish can I add? I was thinking of 2 more cories.

If I keep the mollies with a new female, what else can I put in there?
Something colorful would be nice. I was thinking guppies or platys but those are all smallish; that's why I liked the mollies since they grow a little bigger.

J D said:
Hi,

I'm pretty new to all this, but so far this is my tank:

30 gallons

1 Bristlenose Pleco
6 Zebra Danios
2 Albino Cories
3 Mollies (1 Black and 2 Dalmation)

The 2 dalmations are male/female, and it turns out that the black one is a male (I thought it was a female). Lately at feeding time, the mollies get crazy aggressive and will fight each other as well as other fish. Also saw the black one nip on the pleco's fins. I'm thinking of exchanging the black mollie for a female, or just giving away the 3 mollies in general.

If I give all 3 away, what other fish can I add? I was thinking of 2 more cories.

If I keep the mollies with a new female, what else can I put in there?
Something colorful would be nice. I was thinking guppies or platys but those are all smallish; that's why I liked the mollies since they grow a little bigger.

I'm not sure about the mollies, I've never had one only a platy... I would get at least 2 more of the albino cories though I'd get 4 more because they're happier and more active with groups of 6:). As for fish ideas how about some killifish or a dwarf cichlid? They're both very very colorful and would do good in there.

About the cories, will different types hang out with each other?

How "new" is the tank? Did you cycle it before getting fish (letting it run for a week isn't proper cycling).

Do you have a test kit?

If you purchased the tank and added fish right away you're going to need to do a few things to keep your fish alive and healthy:
1) get a good water test kit, liquid is best (API Master is recommended)
2) Test the water daily and any time ammonia or nitrite are over .25 do a water change; same with nitrates over 20. This could go on for some weeks until the tank cycles (see the link in my signature: 'new tank with fish' for a guide)
3) Don't buy any more fish until the cycle completes :D

Good luck.

Since you have albinos I'm guessing that the bronze cories will school with each other, because the albinos are well the albino version of them.

How "new" is the tank? Did you cycle it before getting fish (letting it run for a week isn't proper cycling).

Do you have a test kit?

If you purchased the tank and added fish right away you're going to need to do a few things to keep your fish alive and healthy:
1) get a good water test kit, liquid is best (API Master is recommended)
2) Test the water daily and any time ammonia or nitrite are over .25 do a water change; same with nitrates over 20. This could go on for some weeks until the tank cycles (see the link in my signature: 'new tank with fish' for a guide)
3) Don't buy any more fish until the cycle completes :D

Good luck.

Yeah, the tank is all set up. I used the danios to cycle it and used the Tetra FreshStart - which actually seemed to work because my ammonia didn't go past .02 at any point and my nitrites are always zero.

So as far as water conditions, everything is good.

Oh, another question: is it a good idea to put a black female molly with female dalmation and male dalmation mollies (in terms the whole 1:2 male/female ratio)?

Yeah, the tank is all set up. I used the danios to cycle it and used the Tetra FreshStart - which actually seemed to work because my ammonia didn't go past .02 at any point and my nitrites are always zero.

So as far as water conditions, everything is good.

Well...hopefully it did work but you still have to be careful because those numbers can be deceiving. What they could be telling you is that you have not cycled yet. Not saying that's the case but use caution when adding more fish. Add them very slowly just to be safe. Do you have nitrates showing? You should if the tank is cycled.

J D said:
Oh, another question: is it a good idea to put a black female molly with female dalmation and male dalmation mollies (in terms the whole 1:2 male/female ratio)?

Yes, to take off some of the aggression of the 2 males get about 3 more females, just be prepared for the fry;)

Well...hopefully it did work but you still have to be careful because those numbers can be deceiving. What they could be telling you is that you have not cycled yet. Not saying that's the case but use caution when adding more fish. Add them very slowly just to be safe. Do you have nitrates showing? You should if the tank is cycled.

yeah, yesterday I had about 0.02 ammonia, no nitrites, and some nitrate (i forget the numbers, but it was on the low side) - i did a 30% water change and ammonia is around 0 now

my pH is around a 7.6-7.8 and I have a piece of drift wood there. Any natural ways to lower pH (I should probably do a search on the forum before asking :p lol)

Back
Top Bottom