New Tank: Spur of the moment purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuotheRaven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I was searching online and found the tank seen in the photos for $100 (Australian) and decided, why not.

Comes with the sump, pump, cabinet and tank.

48 x 18 x 18 - 67 Gallons/ 253 liters.

I now have the tank, waiting on delivery of the rest. Question is, where to start.

I've never had a sump before, so really no idea how to work it.

I'm unsure when they say they have the pump if they mean filter, otherwise, what would be a good option for filter?

I have some old lightening from my old tank like 5 years ago so I should be set there, have some big driftwood to put in it also.

So, i'll keep this post updated as it goes for anyone who may be vaguely interested.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 87
So, cabinet and parts delivered, set up tank.

4ft x 18 x 18 inches - 67gallons with a 36 x 14 x 15 - 32 gallon sump

So I visited my parents place where I have my old aquarium supplies and snagged various filter medias and bits and bobs.

Sump contains - Eheim filter pad, fluval 4 small pads and I've crammed it full of polyester pillow fibre after doing some research for good bio media that's cheap.

So with a 67 gallon main tank (although the overflow is quite low in the tank) and a 32 gallon sump, what sort of stocking are we talking here? Does the sump add extra stocking ideas?

I don't have any ideas re: stocking except tropical and I live in Australia, so I don't have a lot of options for rarer or exotic types.

I've chucked in a bit of flake in the tank to start a touch of ammonia build up and I'll be using Prime as my de-chlor.

Attachments

• 20150306_194044.jpg
    20150306_194044.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20150306_170155.jpg
    20150306_170155.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20150306_194036.jpg
    20150306_194036.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20150306_193956.jpg
    20150306_193956.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 69
You could do a rainbowfish tank. Almost every species comes from Australia or Papua New Guinea.

Thinking of these fish so far:

Hillstream Loach (already purchased and in my established tank, as the LFS had one left and don't often get them in)

6-10 Congo Tetra's or 10-20 Danios
1 Hillstream Loaches
6 Cories or other bottom feeder
Centerpiece fish - no idea what to pick

Substrate is a mix of fine golden/brown gravel and sand.

Trying to figure out how to cover the overflow to stop jumpers getting into it and into the sump, I've got some gutter guard, but any other suggestions would be great

Hillstreams like high flow/high oxygen cool water. Research is good.

It's nice you have a big tank to work with. Hope your Hillstream survives. They eat biofilm more than algae. If you can get it, Repashy gel diets are my friends' Hillstreams' fav food. They have 3 babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Both my tanks have got high flow and high oxygen. My water is sitting a touch higher than ideal for the hillstream, but will be adjusted when moved to the bigger tank which I'll keep around 23-24 Celsius.

This tank has got a 33 gallon sump with a high flow and good water agitation.

Had a nice spike of ammonia using my fish food to fishless cycle, and seeded with a bit of filter media from my established tank. Considering making this tank planted lightly, maybe just up my light globe to something better and get some liquid fert, as I'm not confident enough to go into the world of full on planted tanks as yet.

Having a nice big project tank is so exciting :D

With the addition of the 33 gallon sump to the 67 gallon size of the tank, will that allow me to push stocking limits a touch? I suppose it depends the stocking choice, territory etc...

Back
Top Bottom