New tank stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy!

So I've finally started my 90g tank project. I'm so excited! The first thing I've been working on is a new tank. Now I'm building this a little different because I wanted more room under the tank for the 55g sump and other stuff. So, instead of making a stand that is the same size as the tank, I have made it an extra 2' longer (so a 6' long stand instead of 4' long which is the length of the tank).

This is a work in progress. I have around 250 invested in materials. I wanted to make this one nice (plus I forgot to measure twice and cut once a couple times and had to replace some wood... :( ). The stop is made from 2x6 and the bottom is made from 2x4. I have a solid bottom under the 2x4 and I will seal the inside just in case there is a minor leak, it will hold a bit of water. Here is what I have done so far:

(Please note that I just bought this house 2 weeks ago and the flooring in the garage was already there... haven't figured out what to do with it yet!)

Now the stand:

img_1367577_0_56898e4e766da85a39d940d4efee92af.jpg

img_1367577_1_8eb00a9ad7d056ba4cddb8a60556bf89.jpg

img_1367577_2_bbe05f2d2a3800c7744ec940987b8d8e.jpg

img_1367577_3_a054e7e1cac1f6c55767df722b63ecee.jpg

img_1367577_4_0e8a7e3b8f1ff1b5bd6e97694a9ed4be.jpg

img_1367577_5_7b97783c7247883f0479bf95eb9aef06.jpg

And for a little perspective I have put my old 55g tank on the side that will also hold the 90g tank:

img_1367577_6_220b8225b33f8d212b78971076adbf44.jpg

Still need to paint the inside, stain the outside and then coat it all with polyurethane. I'm tired just thinking about it!

nice craftsmanship i could never do anything like that

nice craftsmanship i could never do anything like that

You would be surprised with what you can get done. I always thought it was hard until I tried. Still, I'm no Picasso when it comes to cabinet making, I just do enough to get the job done.

I really have only used 4 tools and only really needed 2 of them (didn't need the miter saw but it does make it easier and I only used my belt sander to fix mistakes!).

Finishing up with a 2nd coat of white paint for the inside and staining the trim on the outside. It is dark here but will try and get some more pictures up when finished.

have a question for you, how do you know how much weight it will hold?

I don't know for sure how much it will hold but I am sure it is more than enough for a 90g tank. The 2x6's across the top will support a large load and the compressive strength of the 2x4's in the corners and at the 4' mark is enough to park a car on top of.

I have seen enough stands and stand designs that I'm not worried about this one having any problems. I also have 1/4" sheet oak across the entire back and in the front (minus the door cutouts).

Compared to the stands I see in the stores I could park a freight train on this thing.

I was going to say, the stand I bought with my 55g is all particle board. I was really upset when I didn't notice a small splash of water during my first pwc and I now have a nice bubble warp on the surface!

So yeah, I imagine it will hold the tank AND a Prius. Looks great man!

I don't know for sure how much it will hold but I am sure it is more than enough for a 90g tank. The 2x6's across the top will support a large load and the compressive strength of the 2x4's in the corners and at the 4' mark is enough to park a car on top of.

I have seen enough stands and stand designs that I'm not worried about this one having any problems. I also have 1/4" sheet oak across the entire back and in the front (minus the door cutouts).

Compared to the stands I see in the stores I could park a freight train on this thing.

makes me want to build a stand for my 180G but the only thing ive ever built is a turtle pen for my daughter lol

That stands beast compared to the overpriced fisher price particle board you see in stores, puts my homebuilt stand to shame I didn't even cover mine bahaha just framed it and put a top, it's used to hold a thirty and a 20, did build it for free with wood around the house

Ok, here is a quick update before bed. All the painting and staining is done, now I need to put on a layer or 2 of polyurethane. As requested by my wife, I will also put on some glaze coat on the shelf part (that stuff is neat but expensive!).

I really like the way it has turned out so far:

img_1368711_0_7a8c2ab118a8a62df2897f51cc5b528c.jpg

img_1368711_1_c24e0e3e6055e5e38dd882e4039eabf6.jpg

Thanks for all the comments! Can't wait to get the actual tank on there! I still need to drill for the overflow (I don't have the tank and don't know where to drill the holes) but it shouldn't be hard to get that done once I have the tank.

looks great come up to atlanta and build one for my 180 lol

If anyone wants to know what the phraze "Wow, that stinks" means... it is bumping into about 1/2 a quart of stain and having it fall over and spill.

That stinks!

I have to say, you did a really nice job on that stand! I recently built a stand for my tank and have a new appreciation for people who build their own things, it's harder than it looks to make sure everything fits together like a glove. Once you get your tanks goin it's going to look awesome.

Well, my other half overruled my two-tone stain job so I had to re-do it all in the darker color. Did it yesterday but it is still drying (it is like 100 degrees and really humid so taking a long time to dry). Once that is done I'll start with the polyurethane so seal it all up!

Ok, I checked again and it turns out things are drying pretty well so I could put the doors back on. Will still wait another 24 hours (giving 48 of dry time) before putting on the poly. Here is an updated picture:

img_1376764_0_aebd41a7a48770d20bb388201f79a54d.jpg

+1 on the darker stain. Looks great. What kind of poly are you using. I've researching to do the stand for our 125 and was curious what you came up with.

Yea... most people like the dark. I'm over my disappointment now :)

To be honest I didn't research any specific poly. I just grabbed something off the shelf - Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane Clear semi-gloss. I knew I didn't want it to be flat and I didn't want a high glossy finish.

This is what I used last time on my freshwater tank and it worked out pretty well. I am, however, not going to use this on the shelf. That is going to get the $$ treatment as I'm going to mix up and pour some gloss coat there. It is basically a clear epoxy that when hard is very tough stuff. Unfortunately it costs a fortune ($24 for enough for 3x3 area) but it looks cool!

Yeah... We have a ledge designed into ours and I just know that as the saltwater drips from water changes, etc. over time it's going to stain it. I just wondered what others had used to really seal out the moisture. Thanks for the info and the inspiration.

Back
Top Bottom