New tank stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a 54g bowfront corner which is newly cycled and ready for some fish.

Here's my wishlist so far. Please tell me in what order I should get these, whether there are any problems with this combination, and whether something else would be cooler.

Fish (max eventual size)
Ocellaris clown (4") (eventually want to add an anemone. should I get 2 clowns?)
Royal Gramma (3")
shrimp goby and buddy shrimp
Lawnmower blenny (5)
yellowhead jawfish (4)

I'm thiking it would be cool to get something that swims around more, but I know tangs are probably a bad idea in a 54.

thoughts?

i would wait until your tank is more mature for the blenny and goby as they need a good established sand bed to feed off of. Having two clowns are interesting to watch. They will keep each other company. Make sure to get a small one and a larger one from the same tank if possible. I feel you should never split clowns if they are already attracted to each other. The female will be the larger one and will harrass the little guy for a while but will never give up and finally the female will cave. Not to sure about the Gramma and the Jawfish. HTH

a few green/blue chromis would be a neat since they are schooling fish.
I would suggest getting two captive bred ocellaris. They seem to have more of a personality if they got a buddy. Every one needs a friend.

I would make sure that your rock is stable if you add a shrimp goby and shrimp. Those pistol shrimps will create a lot of tunnels and you wouldn't want a rock slide. I really like the Yasha Hashe shrimp goby. Here is an article about them and the Hi-Fin goby if you haven't already read it http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/hcs3/index.htm

It's a good idea to stock your tank slowly because a new tank isn't ready to handle a large bio load in the beginings. I like to add clean-up crew first after the cycle.

Sounds like a good list. I, to, would wait a bit on the bleny as they like to consume microalgea from LR. The goby accepts froozen food just fine and should not be a problem to add one soon. They are great to pair with a pistol shrimp. I like the idea of a pair of percs, but make sure they have "paired-off" at the LFS. If not, they can be aggressive towards each other. The royal gramma is one of my favorite fish and an excellent choice. Jawfish is nice to, but have been known to go after some shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom