"New Tank Syndrome"-- Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashnoel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! i have a 24 gallon nano cube that has been running for about 3 months. I have live rock and a few corals, lots of snails, a coral lbanded shrimp, two ocellaris clownfish, and a sapphire blue damsel in. Im frusturated because my tank keeps getting so dirty so quickly. I can scrub all the algeoff the walls and get most of the stuff off the sand and within the next two days my tank is dirty again. I have been using ro/di water for water changes about every two weeks. the temperature is usually 77-79 deg. I have the sponge in the first filter compartment, some carbon and live rock in the second compartment, and nothing in the last compartment. When i have talked to workers at a coupe pet stores they all told me it was "new tank syndrome" and i just need to keep cleaning and wait it out. How long will i have to wait?! is there anything i can do to speed up the process? I am thinking about purchasing a protein skimmer-- the one for the bio cube so it will fit in my tank. should it?

also, how much should i be feeding my fish? i think i am feeding them enough but im not sure..

below are pictures of the sand and tank-- why are there little bubbles on the sand?

Attachments

• IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 103
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 105
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 97
You should probably just start over with your whole tank as far as water is concerned. I use instant ocean and kent and seachem products as directed. Watch out for over feeding and salt creep

Looks like diatoms to me which are a part of starting a new tank. They can be caused by large amounts of nutrients in the water (often due to feeding) and/or not enough flow. What is your feeding schedule and how much. Also what do you have moving water in your tank?

Looks like cyanobacteria. We have a good article on it in our SW articles section. If it was me I would feed every other day. I have been doing it for 14+ yrs now so your fish will be OK. Also some PWC`s are needed.

ktomminello- im not going to re-start the tank and dealing with cycling it all again, its to risky.

Mrc8858-i have power head at the bottom of the tank and them the standard flow from the tank itself. i feed a small pinch of food every day.

Melosu58- Thanks i will go read those articles, and what is a PWC?

ktomminello- im not going to re-start the tank and dealing with cycling it all again, its to risky.

Mrc8858-i have power head at the bottom of the tank and them the standard flow from the tank itself. i feed a small pinch of food every day.

Melosu58- Thanks i will go read those articles, and what is a PWC?

I wouldn't do it all at once, but for a little while PWC (partial water change) every day a couple gallons at a time, that's how I, personally, handle my messy puffer when I have issues with his water/ habitat quality. Just a suggestion. I have a lot of time on my hands, it's kind of cruel and unusual punishment if you don't, I have respect for that. Hope things go well. Sorry if I came across as ridiculous.

ktomminello- okay that makes much more sense! i was confused! i didnt mean to come off as mean, sorry if i did. i think i will try a couple pwt's and i am going to buy a protein skimmer, any suggestions?

Looks like cyano. The air bubbles are the result of the algae eating up the nutrients in the tank. Feeding everyday isn't a must. I usually feed my tank every 2-3 days and at that still only a small amount. Pwc are the best method to export nutrients I do 3gallons every week and my cube is a 29 gallon. Next thing is to improve circulation. Cyano likes dead spots in tanks and will almost always grow there. I don't run a skimmer on my tank and so far things seem to be going okay with pwc every week. Oh and it won't clear up over night! Patience is key in the saltwater world. :)

I don't actually know a thing about protein skimmers, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit- I am ocd so it's almost pathetically ritualistic to use a bucket and a cup dumping gallons of water into my passive aquaponic set up

ForumRunner_20120704_214718.jpg

ForumRunner_20120704_214734.jpg

ForumRunner_20120704_214803.jpg

ForumRunner_20120704_214825.jpg

This is my results on eggplants, peppers, and tomatoes. It works awesome, but like I said before, I really do have that much time.... I guess you could say I retired to urban farming and fishing, I'm not a hippie, I'm just a hard worker who retired young. :)

I use protein from my fresh and salt water tanks and filter with compost to make what you see in the bin- like I said, too much time.

oh haha i didn't understand! those are beautiful plants! cheers to you for finding an environmentally friendly way to get rid of waste water! :)

Back
Top Bottom