New tank/used filter cartridge - cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotocus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night we put water in our new 75. We have an established 20 gallon, so I put the single filter cartridge from that tank into the larger filter of the new tank. From all I have read I heard that would "instantly" cycle the tank. Today I tested the water and had zero ammonia, zero nitrites, but also zero nitrates (API test kit). I expected to see some nitrates. Did something go wrong? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What's in the 75? Just water?? I've instant cycled a tank by putting an established (4month) ac 50 on a 20tall.. it was also barely stocked. It all depends really. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nothing alive.

So in order to cycle you'll need to introduce a source of ammonia. It can be from fish, actual ammonia or a rotting dinner shrimp. What are your plans for the tank?

No plants. I guess I'll run out and get some ammonia in a bit. Have i probably killed off any nitrates from the filter already and have to do it the long way?

Well... you should take a minute and go over some info on cycling your tank. Beneficial bacteria is what you're wanting to keep alive, they will be ok for a few days in the filter so long as they don't dry out..

Tank Cycling

Last night we put water in our new 75. We have an established 20 gallon, so I put the single filter cartridge from that tank into the larger filter of the new tank. From all I have read I heard that would "instantly" cycle the tank. Today I tested the water and had zero ammonia, zero nitrites, but also zero nitrates (API test kit). I expected to see some nitrates. Did something go wrong? Thanks.

Hello Lot...

The filter media from a 20 gallon won't cycle a 75 gallon tank. It will only instantly cycle another 20 or smaller tank. There's so much water in a tank this size, any trace of dissolved fish waste will be diluted. Not surprising there's no trace of any nitrogen.

If you want to cycle the 75, then get some hardy fish into the tank. You typically need 3 to 4 medium sized fish for every 10 gallons of water. Platys and Danios are both good, hardy fish. Then, research the standard procedure for the "nitrogen cycle" using fish.

B

And here I thought I had done all my research. Our LFS is having a sale on danios and we were planning on getting a good school of those guys going anyways.

And here I thought I had done all my research. Our LFS is having a sale on danios and we were planning on getting a good school of those guys going anyways.

Perfect..I'll usually disagree with b ' s Advice in using hardy fish you don't plan on keeping to cycle a tank, if you want them? Do it up!

So now I guess the question is - how many Danios? From what I find online they recommend 2-3 for a 10-20 gallon tank. Is the ratio consistent? That would mean about 14-20 Danios? This is a 75 gallon tank, but that seems like a lot of fish to risk and possibly sacrifice for cycling.

Your just trying to introduce the amonia, which will come from waste and food you feed. I would start with 6 for now. Wait a week and you can add more.

Back
Top Bottom