New tank.... very cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awojno

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have done a lot of reading but I am a little concerned. I have a 55 gal freshwater non planted tank. added ammonia up to 5ppm. ammonia is now at about 1ppm and have seen nitrites begin to increase to about 1ppm. I am currently in the second week. The water has been very cloudy however. Is this normal?

I just want to say this is a fantastic website and I am glad to join the community.

Hi,

How long are your lights on for? It could be an algae bloom. Maximum I have my lights on is probably 10-12 hours per day on my planted tanks.

Thanks,

Tim

sounds like a bacterial bloom to me. which is great! it means cycling is really under way. sounds like you are on the right track!! keep it up! and don't forget to dose ammonia back up to 4ppm or so once it drops to .25ppm or lower. assuming you have no fish, your lights should always be off (bacteria like the dark much better, and will colonize faster)

yep sounds like a bit of NTS. do you have any fish in the tank? im assuming since your adding ammonia there isnt any though

Back
Top Bottom