New Tank w/ Nitromax attempting to cycle w/ fish. When do I do first water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLuckyRoll

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello forum! I have gotten some nice advice and I look to get more from here. I started my second aquarium; a 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium with 3 pea puffers an otto and a few ghost shrimp. Per the advice of the knowledgeable pet store I bought Nitromax and began cycling with fish newly added to the aquarium and added Nitromax at the same time. I have been completing treatments as directed by the Nitromax and I wonder when I am supposed to do my first water change? I know a fungal bloom is supposed to happen; and I am getting a lot of the bacteria on the gravel bed (the cloudy white things) and I am not sure if I am supposed to suck those up with my first water change and keep adding Nitromax and water changing until levels are normal? My ammonia levels are a little high but my Nitro and Nitrite levels are getting safer. Any thoughts?

water are your readings? do you have a test kit? this will tell you when you need to change your water. how long has your tank been set up?

My Nitrate and Nitrite levels are becoming safer but my ammonia levels are high. So I presume I would just ignore the bacteria in the bottom of which I thought was to be beneficial and just do a partial change? Its a new tank.

Please read up on 'fish-in' cycling. I honestly dont even know what 'nitromax' is but if your ammonia and/or nitrite levels are .25ppm (or higher), you need to start doing water changes with temperature matched & conditioned water asap. Ammonia & nitrite are toxic to your fish & being exposed to these levels can permanently damage or even result in the demise of your fish. If you dont understand anything or are unsure, please ask & we will help!!

Back
Top Bottom