new tank. want to stock more. 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlieweaver21

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i had a friend that just had to get rid of his tank. So i took it and everything with it. It was pretty nasty but i didnt wanna cycle it. Its a 29gallon So i put 60% of the water in buckets along with all the rocks and fish. Then cleaned the tank with hot water and alot of elbow grease. Then put everything back in. It came with filter which i found is way to small is was a aqua tech 5-15. So half what it needed so i bought a marineland empouer 400. Which says is good up to 75 gallons. So im good there i was able to put the same bio wheel in it so to keep the bacteria good.

So it came some fish in it. Not much
3x Dalmatian mollys
2 orange and black fish i then there some type of comet.

I added
1x gold claw crab
1x small plecostomus
1x sm iridescent shark

Just wonder with what i have. What else should or could i put?

First, the goldfish needs to be rehomed. Goldfish are cold water fish and don't appreciate higher tropical temps, they also carry a high bio-load which will help dirty your tank fast.
The Iridescent shark and the pleco, which I am assuming is a common pleco are going to outgrow that size tank. They both grow quite large. Do you have any pic's of the orange and black fish?

Right now after adding what you did you shouldn't add any more. Let the BB catch up. Then after the BB catches up from the new additions you need to wait until you can rehome the goldfish. Until then you really shouldn't add anything.

Here is the best pics i could get of the gold and black fish. Also a pic of the setup . I really dont think there gold fish.

ForumRunner_20120920_222718.jpg

ForumRunner_20120920_222542.jpg

ForumRunner_20120920_222535.jpg

I think the orange and black fish look like platies to me maybe a red wag google platy and check out different color morphs ...

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 413
Oh yeah you got it. Its deffently a red wag platy. Thanks. So with that update then i should be good. So do yall think i could add a snail or two. And maybe some red shrimp or ghost shimp. Would a angel fish be a possiblity?

I don't know anything about crabs but I'd think the crab would kill shrimp. No sure but I'd research before adding any shrimp. Here is a thread you might find interesting...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/gold-claw-crab-84880.htmlI

The tank could house 1 angel or a dwarf gourami. But you should read up on the irridescent shark. It will get stunted if kept in too small a tank and I believe they do better in schools. Normally they get huge, even bigger than the common pleco.

I would think small snails might be okay but larger ones with long antenae, like mystery or ramshorn snails might also be a target for the crab.

Make sure you give your pleco a piece of driftwood in the tank as he needs it for proper digestion and give him an algae tablet once or twice a week at night after you turn the lights in the tank off. Watch to be sure him and the crab don't fight over it, you might have to put two tablets in.

Sorry I can't make any better suggestions but you have a really different mix and the crab just throws things off for me. Maybe someone else has some better suggestions.

I dont know much about the crab or shrimp , but i myself have 3 platties which will be 5 asap and i have 2 albino corys which will be 4 soon ( 1 died of unknown reasons) 6 zebra danios and 1 angel fish. They all go good together the only one minor problem i had was when i added the zebras for the first few hours i had to turn the light off before i left to school because the angel was attacking them. Now no problems at all between the fish and sometimes they even get really close to him.

I would say keep the pleco for now but give it away once it gets bigger unless you get a bigger tank or its a smaller type of pleco. The shark gets around 40 inches or more so you need around a 6 foot long tank i would bring that back to the store or keep it till you no longer n re home it aswell.

You should up your platy numbers and it should be 1male for every 2 females so if you have 1 male and female already get another female or the other way around. You should try n fill out the tank have 1 main fish some schooling fish and some bottom dwellers . Some type of cory , for the bottom or smaller pleco , glofish or zebras for the more active fish , angel or gourami as river stated as the center. snails and shrimp i sure would do fine with that setup with out the crab.

Well the crap i really like i think its a uncommon so thats why i like it. So far he is great very active climbing everywhere. And about being aggressive, nothing yet ive seen him and the pleco right next to each other just chilling and in.shark is just to fast for him and the molly and platys dont go down there much. I even have baby molly that is less than a cm and has been right next to him and no reaction from him at all. Its only been 2 days but i think as long as hes feed he will be nice lol. And i do know the in shark will get big but should take a year or two then ill take him back or rehome. Where i get my fish they buy back fish that get to big. Just so they can resell him for more so i have a plan foe him. Lol the pleco is pretty small and the guy said it should be fine in my tank. I do want to get a 55 gallon tank but may take a year before i can get that going. I think im going to try a few shimp next and see what happens if they get ate by the crab well at least there only 39 cent.

Back
Top Bottom