new tank, water changes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
His tank is cycled if its reading 20ppm Trates

Yeh it has cycled. So if im changing water (still not sure on how much to change haha) should i do it in one go or say x amount of 10 litre buckets throughout a week?

Im now also confused about gravel cleaning. I did clean the gravel today and got a fair bit of waste product out of it.

Im also now seeing conflicting info on how often to clean the filter media (i know i need to do it in tank water thats been removed)

Im beggining to get that its more about an idividuals water chemisty and/or preference lol. Thanks for the info though people, appreciate it

herdo-Yeh it has cycled. So if im changing water (still not sure on how much to change haha) should i do it in one go or say x amount of 10 litre buckets throughout a week?

--Yes do a partial water change once a week or twice its up to you. Partial means 25%-45%.

herdo- Im now also confused about gravel cleaning. I did clean the gravel today and got a fair bit of waste product out of it.

--Yes please clean the gravel. Do not listen to those who say don't. Waste builds up in the gravel which at any time can cause ammonia spikes and high nitrates. Clean it once every 1-2 weeks as well.

herdo- Im also now seeing conflicting info on how often to clean the filter media (i know i need to do it in tank water thats been removed)

--To clean filter media just rinse it out in a bucket of old tank water. That's all for that its very simple

herdo- Im beggining to get that its more about an idividuals water chemisty and/or preference lol. Thanks for the info though people, appreciate it.

Change however much you need to get your nitrates where you want them. It sounds vague but it's true. Your nitrates are fine right now, and they should generally be kept below 30 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom