New tank & well water. What cautions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Setting up a new tank at a friend's. She's got well water. What do we look for for potential problems? Phosphates? Metals? What? She's going reef.

She understands that an RO/DI might be in her future.

every well is different, without testing, it is hard to say. I am on a well, but use ro/di water.

I use well water and skim. No problems what so ever. But agree with Hara. She should know how bad or good the water is, generally. I think with a good skimmer, well water is just fine.

Not all but alot of wells are high in metals. I would play it safe and get an RO/DI or at the least have her water tested.

You can test also but I was thinking about sending a water sample to one of these companies that will test your water and give you a readout of everything in your water

Find someone with a TDS meter. Run all other tests at your disposal. If the Total Dissolved Solids are above 20, you may need to implement a R/O filter. If you are reading any phosphates or nitrates ( possible,especially if she's on old farm land) R/O is the key.

I'm thinking...or hoping that an RO/DI will solve all the problems. We tested a few this morning. Got .75 on the ammonia. Wow! No trates, and Ph at 7.8. Haven't done the phosphate yet.

Even still, will the RO/DI solve all those issues? Potential phosphate, TDS, metals, and that doggone ammonia?

She never drinks it anyway. Now, she saids she knows why.

RO/DI is the way to go. As Mrs Hara said it will take care of all problems
I agree. I have well water, but have no problems....yet. Can the LFS test for the important things, like copper and such?

Back
Top Bottom