New tank with rapid death rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my way home from work I picked up a bottle of Prime, that stuff stinks but I used that and did a WC.
My 3 Zebra Danios appear to be happy for the most part.

I also picked up 2 fluorescent 50/50 bulbs to replace the heat producing incandescent bulbs that my aquarium came with but one was broken so I'll go back and exchange it after dinner

Never let store water get in your tank. You can acclimate them but never let LFS water into your tank.

I've learned that now... I made that mistake the first time but the lfs I got the water from hadn't had any problems with their fish being sick or dying in that tank, I checked.
Since then, all the water goes down the drain.

if these die you could also try a fish that can tolerate higher water temps. I have Rummy noses in with my discus and they can tolerate the higher water temps.

Hang in there! I had a rough start as well. I will say that for some reason I just could not get that 5gallon to work. Finally did, but was truly a mystery to me. Did a fish in cycle on the 20 and it worked fine. Started with cherry barbs- and a liquid test kit. I really think it made all the difference. Hope you get your test kit soon- that may shed some light on your problem.

Can't remember if I mentioned it before or not, but my LFS used test strips and they said my ammonia was less than .5ppm. When I got the liquid test my ammonia was like at 8ppm. This is why I say do the daily 50% wc regardless of what your test says until you get your liquid test. That fresh water makes all the difference.

Good luck!

How are you doing your water changes? Mainly when do you add the prime? Also who said .5 was everyone says don't let it get above .5ppm so if it raises slightly it's no longer fine and as I mentioned before it all depends on your ph...

if these die you could also try a fish that can tolerate higher water temps. I have Rummy noses in with my discus and they can tolerate the higher water temps.

However, rummies are very sensitive to changes in water parameters. They are recommended only for stable tanks that are well established.

I add water to my tank one bucket (10L) at a time, each bucket is mixed individually and temp within 1degree C before adding it to the tank via reverse siphon as not to cause turbulence in the water.
I also unplug my filter once I get near the minimum level line

I waited a few hours after the water change last night and the tank tested negative for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate

I also failed to get that bulb exchanged... I ate too much lol
I get paid on thursday so either that day or more likely friday I will get the API master test kit

Good to hear but what's Wong with the bulb? Do you mean light bulb?

And another thing about ammonia. When it is .5 ppm if stresses the fish out which weakens it immune system which in turn makes it more likely to become sick. Any type of stress on the fish weakens it immune system. This is why we keep fish in the proper size tanks and with school. And keep our water l params good

Since you do not have live plants, a light is only needed by you to display your tank. You can leave it off if temperature is an issue.

Also, it may have been said, a smaller tank will be less stable meaning that toxins will build up faster so things can happen overnight.

yes, light bulb and it was cracked... I'm getting live plants once it's cycled plus the aqurium is the main focal point of the room so light is needed.
I have a 20gal tank, not the biggest but I would assume enough to support a few small fish

So you are thinking your fish were getting shocked I assume? Did your tank smell like something was burning? Or the water appear to be grey? But either way your fish wouldn't get shocked because it isn't grounded. Glass isn't a conductor...

no, I bought florescent lights to replace the energy wasting heat producing incandescent bulbs and one new fluorescent bulb was broken when I removed it from the package. this was separate from the death issue (which by the way hasn't happened to my zebras yet, knock on wood)

and I'm glad to report that all 3 of them survived another night :)
either there's a big difference between guppies and zebra danios or whatever was in my water has been diluted enough through regular wc to become safe

It is hard to wait for those nitrates. I'm cycling a 10gal for my grandson and my nitrites are off the charts! Along with the nitrates. I'm still feeding the tank. I'm hoping one day soon No nitrites! so i can set it up at his house for him.

So I got sad news earlier from my gf... Apparently one of my zebras got sucked in by the filter and was stuck to the water intake and died. It's a Tetra Whisper EX20, how can I prevent fish from getting stuck like this again? Also, as a beta will end up in this tank, how can I stop the filter from producing so much current throughout the tank?

26311%20TWEX30-Cutaway%2012-07.jpg

Try adding a pre-filter sponge. I just went to my LFS and got one. Its really kind of nice too because when you do your water change you can take it off and rinse it. It helps cut down on all the poop and extra food from getting into the filter.

Back
Top Bottom