New Tank Woes. (This Sucks)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin Man

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my 55 Gallon setup for 3 Weeks now. I was trying to cycle the tank with Goldfish. I figure Goldfish are VERY hearty and that they would be great for tank cycling.

The First Problem i had was that the PH would NOT lower. Period. I was told here not to worry about that. I was also told that it was probably due to my water hardness.

I went to the fish store and bought 6 feeder goldfish. Overnight, 2 died. the other 4 have survived to this day. In fact, they're eating my plants. They've Stripped my Cambodia Plants. They look like sticks coming out of the bottom of the tank.

The Tank PH STILL hasn't Lowered. I have no Idea what this tank is up to. I just tested my Water tonight. Here are the Results:

Ammonia 0 PPM
PH 8.8 (Or higher. That's the Highest my test goes)
Nitrates 20 PPM
Nitrites 0 PPM

I have some Aquarium Salt i could add. That might soften the water a bit. What do you guys think?

I've had my 55 Gallon setup for 3 Weeks now. I was trying to cycle the tank with Goldfish. I figure Goldfish are VERY hearty and that they would be great for tank cycling.

The First Problem i had was that the PH would NOT lower. Period. I was told here not to worry about that. I was also told that it was probably due to my water hardness.

I went to the fish store and bought 6 feeder goldfish. Overnight, 2 died. the other 4 have survived to this day. In fact, they're eating my plants. They've Stripped my Cambodia Plants. They look like sticks coming out of the bottom of the tank.

The Tank PH STILL hasn't Lowered. I have no Idea what this tank is up to. I just tested my Water tonight. Here are the Results:

Ammonia 0 PPM
PH 8.8 (Or higher. That's the Highest my test goes)
Nitrates 20 PPM
Nitrites 0 PPM

I have some Aquarium Salt i could add. That might soften the water a bit. What do you guys think?

what kind of fish do want to put in there? the ph is normally not a huge deal also it seems like your tank has cycled which is good.

yeah the Bala Sharks do like softer water with a lower ph. from what i just goggled. you could do cichlids they would love that water! you could try adding drift wood also but that only lowers it a small amount. or mixing reverse osmosis with tap water which can get pricey and requires some experimentation. (so i have heard)

Last edited:
bala sharks get too big for a 55g... might wanna re-think your stocking plans... and DONT use chemicals... they lower the ph for a few hours, all they really do is cause ph swings which IS bad for the fish...

would also like to add that from everything i read if you are just starting at this like myself. its best to chose fish that match your water parameters 1st. and then worry about things like mixing reverse osmosis with tap water(not using chemicals like i said before) later on when you gt more experience under your belt. also i found this link http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_adjusting_pH.php

Does your tap water have that high of pH? What kind of rocks/substrate do you have in the tank?

Yes, that's right out of the tap. I'm running just rocks.

Back
Top Bottom