New tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up a 10 gallon tank for my betta. He was in a planted 5-gallon tank. I wanted more room for plants :mrgreen:.

I moved a few months ago. I set one betta up in a 10 gallon tank when we moved, and then set up the second betta in his 10 gallon tank on March 9.

What is weird is that the second betta tank has no diatoms at all, and it's been two weeks since it was set up. The first betta tank had tons of diatoms for 6-8 weeks. Another strange thing is that when we moved here, a few months ago, I set the second betta back up in the 5 gallon tank. All the plants in that tank survived being in paper towels, plastic bags, and buckets for 3-4 days. When I changed that 5 gallon over to the 10 gallon, many of the plants didn't do well. All my Bacopa australis just melted into mush. All my Ludwigia repens melted too. They transitioned from our old condo to the new house very well, but didn't seem to handle a tank change. I would tolerate some diatoms if I could have my B. australis back!

Last edited:
Hi An t-iasg, A pic would be cool
here is my daughter's Betta fish in her 1.5g mermaid tank(size of tank had quite the discussion on AA a while back) She picked a red and white one not the pretty one I would have picked but her fish her choice. Maybe if you post a pic of your 10g setup I will be inspired to purchas my daughters betta a new home. :D:D:D:D march o8 fish tank 004 Small Web view.jpg

march o8 fish tank 003 Small Web view.jpg

Here are some pictures! The tank on the left with the crowntail betta is the newer of the two. It has been set up for 2 1/2 weeks. The tank on the right has been set up since the end of December. Those crypts are starting to get nice and thick! The crypts in the other tank haven't filled out much yet. That was the tank that lost the Bacopa australis and most of the L. repens, so it still looks a bit bare. I can get more plants out of the one repens that did survive. When it gets warmer I'll look for some other plants to fill in a bit.

Attachments

• Resize-07521.jpg
    Resize-07521.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Resize-1204.jpg
    Resize-1204.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 58
  • Resize-1206.jpg
    Resize-1206.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Resize-1218.jpg
    Resize-1218.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 74
Those are really lovely tanks and they look a lot bigger than you say. Which betta is Peyton and which is Eli (sp?) ?.

And what's the yellow thing?

And feel free to have some of my diatoms. I have plenty to share.

Those definately look like some happy betta fish. A tank background would really make the plants and scaping stand out.

Thanks, everyone! In the wide-angle pics, Eli is on the left and Peyton is on the right. In the individual pics, Eli is on the left and Peyton is on the right. In the first picture, on the equipment table, see the purple egg next to the phone? That's a timer I use when I soak their betta pellets. I thought I had a blue blackground from DrsFosterSmith but I can't find it yet. It still may be over at the condo. There are still some "non-essential" things over there.

The yellow thing is a pH probe. It's part of the CO2 system. In the first picture, you can see the little green boxes on the tables toward the back of the tanks. That is the pH controller and the solonoid from the CO2 cylinder is plugged into the controller. Depending on the pH in the tank, the solonoid turns on to release CO2, or off, to stop the CO2.

Here are some better pictures of Eli (left) and Peyton. Peyton lost some fin length but already I can see some growth. He must be very happy and healthy in his new tank!

Attachments

• Resize-3-IMG_0354.jpg
    Resize-3-IMG_0354.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Resize-2-IMG_0007.jpg
    Resize-2-IMG_0007.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 53
Bettas' eyes creep me out, but other than that, they're pretty good-looking fish. Yours look great!

Hey nice tanks, is that java moss you have in teh upper left hand corner of the tanks? Why have it there, it looks like it's sort of doubling as filter material, is it on an intake or something? What kind of filtration do you have?

I have that same ph controller and heater (marineland right?)

Those would be the "beds" for the bettas. If I remember correctly she's using soap dish containers (obviously never used for original purpose) and filling them with the moss to create a bed that the bettas love to curl up in. If you do a search on her threads you'll find some excellant pictures of the bettas curled up in their beds with just a nose poking out.

Thanks, Joy! Bettas love a resting spot near the water's surface. I know I won't win any aquascaping awards but that's ok. It is their home, first and foremost. All my bettas have always used the moss beds I provided. Some have even bitten me as I removed it for cleaning! The tank lights go off around 9 pm, and the room light goes off at 9:30. Before I go to bed, I turn the hall light on and peek in the tank - they have always been in the moss beds, usually with only their nose sticking out!

The moss I'm using now is Taiwan moss (thanks, rkilling1!) I used java moss before and it turns brown somewhat easily. The Taiwan moss stays green and soft and grows better than the java moss. I've also experimented with baby tears and Monosolenium tenerum in the beds, but this Taiwan moss is working very well.

The filter is a Duetto DJ-50 internal filter (visible behind the beds). I'm pretty sure you have the same pH controller, Pittdude. The green boxes are visible in the first picture, sticking out a bit from behind each tank. The heater is a Visitherm Stealth, made by Aquarium Sytems/Marineland.

Those fish are amazing
I guess I have never seen a betta look that good before. I think when I get a few extra bucks I will give a planted betta tank a shot. you have some Very impressive betta fish.

Your Fish look beutiful. Your tanks are very nice too and I must say you have a very impressive setup. wow. Those bettas have it made...Ive never seen too fish with so much stuff all to themselves!
Those tanks look spotless!!!!

Last edited:
They look great! I may have to try that bed idea for my bettas. I also MUST comment on how great that desk looks with your flooring! (y) The tanks just add to the overall image.

Thanks, everyone, for your nice comments!

Zagz, the whole house (except the kitchen and bathrooms) has that same hardwood flooring!

Back
Top Bottom