New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platinum

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there people, this is my first post here and I have to say I really like the site!

With that said, my friend bought me a 40 gallon glass tank as a gift for me. With it I got a protein skimmer with a UV sterilizer, simple canister filter, 48" 120 watt power compact, and a heater. I have about 60 lbs of LR and a 2.5 inch sand bed. He paid well over $400 for all this.

Just yesterday I found a guy selling a 100 gallon glass tank with stand 110 lbs of Fiji LR, wet/dry filter, trickle down tower, skimmer, and 12 end caps with 2 ballasts all for $250. Today I am going to go pick it up in a few hours. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to transport the LR. It is a 2 hour drive back from where I am picking it up. Also after I get it what suggestions can you offer on how to set it up so I can use the 60 lbs of LR from my old tank in this new one? Is there a speical process I need to go through?

I should also mention that the new tank I am buying has some scratches on it that I will need to remove first. So I was thinking of putting all the LR in the 40 gallon and fixing the 100 gallon for a few days and painting the stand black, and then putting all of the LR back in the 100 gallon.

Also the wet/dry filter on the new tank has 11 years worth of biological load in it. Should I dump it and start again or use this beneficial water???

Sorry for all of the question just don’t want to mess up.

A prompt response would be very nice considering I am leaving to go pick it up in a few hours. Thank you.

First off transporting LR is not diffucult. I suggest a large rubbermaid container and put just enough water from the tank to cover the rock. You'll prolly need a little healp lifting it. Save as much water as you can. Storing water will need movement of a powerhead or at lest an airstone and airpump. As long as the wet/dry stays wet it bacteria should be ok. storing all of the rock in the 40 should be fina as well. This should get you started until you get home and then i'm sure plenty of people here will help you with the details on the rest! Good luck, sounds like you got a deal!

Ok I moved the tank to my garage, I put the LR in my 40 gal tank. it wont all fit lol. the tank is full top to bottom left to right with LR. LOL. Some of the LR didnt fit so i left it in a trash can witha power head and an aitstone witha 40 watt light. I am clean the 100 gal tank and refinihs the stand with a new coat of red wood stain. ill post before and after pictures when im done. but so far it has been really fun working on this tank, cant wait to see how it looks when its all done!!! :D ill take a pic of my 40 woth all of the LR in it. It is soo packed in there the fish can barrley move lol.

Back
Top Bottom