New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conneralbrecht

Aquarium Advice Activist
New tank. Im thinking about upgrading from my 55gal to 100-150 gallon tank. I will probably buy a used tank. Anything i should know or look for.

Just one question, do you know about the aquarium Nitrogen cycle? If not, Look it up and read it carefully.

Make sure to have an right filter for your size tank. For bigger tanks, look into canister filters or Wet/Dry filters (Modified sumps). Generally, for canisters, the GPH (Gallons Per Hour) should be 4-5 Times more than your tank volume.

Also make sure to have the right Heating, sometimes, In order for Larger tanks to get enough heat, you have to have 2-3 heaters. Just make sure that the WPG (Watts per gallon) is 2-3 times more than your tank volume for the heaters.

What do you plan to stock the tank with, Just wondering :)

I like the idea of cannister filter i just havnt looked much into them. Im planning on keeping larger cichlids. Im aware of most of that. I kind of want to know more about filtration. Are some filters better for some fish?

With larger cichlids and bigger tanks, you are going to need to use something for filtration (Canister filter, wet/dry filter, etc) besides Hang on Back filters. Really, I dont think anything bigger than a 55 should have a Canister.

Well all filters are great, but its the point that you have enough filtration to support certain size tanks and certain fish.

Personally I would go with a Hagen fluval fx5 if you can afford it, it's one of the best filters normal aquarist's can get. I have one on my 75g and it works like a charm.

I have a Hagen fluval 405 and personally, I think it is a tad undersized for a 100gal tank, but that's just me, it does work, and works well, but I would have liked a bigger filter (followed LFS advice).

Might have to get a larger one come Xmas ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Forester said:
Personally I would go with a Hagen fluval fx5 if you can afford it, it's one of the best filters normal aquarist's can get. I have one on my 75g and it works like a charm.

Is it very noisy ?

Found a 110 gallon on craigslist for 200 dollars has stand filter and lights i will probably buy the fluval fx5 when i get it. Sound like a good deal?

Conneralbrecht said:
What would be a good price to buy it at? Dont feel like gettin ripped of by my lfs

You can get an fx5 new on eBay with media for $234 with free shipping.

LOL. OK. Sure you can.

Except I could sell on Amazon if I wanted to, so could you, so could anybody. Cheats or not. And what's even more fun is that you get less accurate feedback there and you don't get a buyer guarantee like you do on eBay from Paypal. How fun...

I buy on Amazon all the time, but believe it is any more respectable than eBay is just silly. Unless your order says fulfilled by Amazon and only Amazon, you're not buying from Amazon - you're buying THROUGH them (probably from someone who also has a store on eBay).

Back
Top Bottom