New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I got my new tank all moved and set up. The people I got it from have too goldfish in it, it’s a tropical tank will the goldfish be alright. The one is like 6 inches long and prolly 3 inches wide. And the other one is small. Will they be alright in there, will they eat other fish. I have a spare 10g I may be able to put them in if I can talk my mom into it, she doesn’t want my other fish to get eaten.

What size is the new tank?

Goldfish should not be kept with tropical fish. Even fancy goldfish have lower temperature requirements and produce far too much waste to be mixed with tropicals. And conflicts *absolutely* can arise.

A 10g is also too small for anything goldfish-wise except one juvenile, due to their waste production.

the thank is between 37 and 40 g its a tall on too. i dunno what im going to do thenthey might just have to stay there, the person i got the tank from has had them in there for quite a while and they have been fine, he thinks the one might have waten a fish tho.

You won't be able to use that tank to raise angelfish with the goldfish in there. Besides the fact the species have very different needs, the goldies will eat the angelfish eggs and fry.

waten?eaten..what other fish are with them....?
the tank is actually maxed with two golds.

Anyway ..carp type fish eat whatever will fit in their mouth. Golds are no exception, they will eat small tankmates now and again without actively preying on them. golds re not healthy at temps higher than 75
A -because warmer water is less oxygen and golds are oxy PIGS
B -Golds are messy and really max out the filter capacity which cause water quality to flucuate a LOT. And warmer water is better for all the yukky funguses andnbacteria and algae to bloom on said wastes.
C -too warm golds often break out almost sponatneoully with fin rot (adn ick if they were carrying it)
D -Fancy golds neeed to eat a lot becuase they have no real digestive tract (explains the mess) and they find it hard to compete against faster moving tropicals. And they may be forscedd to eat up top to get ashare which guarantees eventual smim bladder disorders.
C -golds measure not only by gallons per inch of fish but by square inches (that oxygen requirement again) Tall tanks make keeping them even harder!

any questions? heh! short term it is not a big deal..but when you start talking months? bad news for all the occupants

Well I guess I will have to get them out. I have a 20g that I was going to sell, maybe I can use that for the big goldfish(like 6inches minus the tail) and maybe the smaller one too. I don’t want to get rid of the big goldfish cuz I kinda like it. My 20g has a heater, hob filters and light, It had gravel but I had to get rid of it becuz it was infested with snails. Will the goldies be ok with my other fish till at least the weekend when I can get some new gravel for it. also does anyone know of a fish that is long and fairly skinny, it swims up and down like this | and has some red fins, it also has like black and white stripes, and it is almost 5 inches or so. The person I got it from thought it was something called a nostradomus but im not sure.

wouyld i be able to go graveless until i can get some. also would i need to use the haeter or would it be ok without it since it needs cold watr n e ways. i might set up my 20 g tonight or tomorrow for it, cuz my mom doesnt want them getting sick or my other fish to get eaten cuz i ahve some fish like tetras and other small ones.

Heres what heappened. i was bout to start putting water in my 20, i looked on the side nad the two peices of glawss were startrting to come apart . so i am going to use the 10g temporaryily toill i can get to apet store to get a new 20. i am going to use the filter from my 20 so it has extra filtrtation. hopefully they wont be in there long.

k i just got the two goldfish set up in a ten g. it has a ac 150 hob filter, i also have a mini if i needed to put that on. should i put a heater in with it, i dont hve lightbulbs for the light at the momnet so it isnt getting n e heat from that. i am going to the lfs on thursday hopefully they will have a 20g i can buy, its the only size that will fit under my stand.

EDIT: my mom just said they are fine in the tank they are in so she siad i can't buy a bigger one. i hiope they do alright. thanks for you help and i was listening but my mom wont let me, so i just have to live with it. they seem alright. please dont yell at me for doing that i am just trying make it a better place for all of the fish. i can give them more filtration if they need it to. thanks to everyone for all their help.

It may be best to find someone who can properly care for the goldies. They will not be fine in that tank, if that is it for the rest of their lives. The other option (but I have no idea how pracitcal this is since I do not know what the other fish are) is to keep the goldies in the 40 and put the other fish in the 10 (your profile is not updated). Where are you in Canada?

As for no gravel, no problem. Set up that extra filter and get ready for daily water changes if the ammonia and nitrite levels come up. You do have your own test kits, correct :?:

no i dont have n e test kits. to tell u the truth i never even knew i needed test kits till i found these fish sites an dih ave had fish for ten years. i will somehow have to talk my mom into letting me get a new 20g for them. will that be enough, cuz i dont have a whole bunch of room underneath. also wat should the temp be, i throw on my old heater to brign the temp up a bit, it was at like 66. i live in southern ontario, i dont think mmy other fish will fit in a 10, i have a pleco, andoto or sumthin , a vat fiosh, 2 lrg angelfish, 2 painted glassfish, a few neon tetras, a fe other tetras, 2 platys, and a Annostomus Cigar Fish (came with tank). so would the two goldfish be ok in say a 20. i can try and talk my mom into it and if i cant i will just buy it cuz she wont be there. i really like the big one and i dont want to have to get rid of him.EDIT: Mabye i could try and get a 25 gallon cuz it is basically the same dimensions, just a bit taller.

i think i am just going to get the tank wether my mom says i can or not. if they need it thats wat i will do, i dont wnat them to die cuz i like them . will the 20 or 25 be good enough. i hope toget the 25 but i dont know if they will ahve any. if i cant get it at the lfs on thursday i might be able to go to another one and get one. lets hope lol. also should i leave the heater in the tank or take it out. the temp is like 68 or so.

A 20-25g would be ok for 2 goldies. Not the optimum, but its gives em at least 10g each, and thats pretty important. You'll want a heater, not so much to keep temps up, but to keep em steady. If the room is airconditioned, or gets cold in winter at night, the temp changes can cause probs.

Definitely can't move the other fish into the 10g; getting tests would be a really good idea, as you will know for sure if your fish are in a healthy environment instead of having to guess. Most lfs will test the water for you as well, but dragging samples down to the store, especially when you can't get a ride, is a pain.

I wonder if your mom read the stuff you've been posting, the good questions you're asking and how serious you are, if she'd understand how important this is to you AND the fish? Maybe you should show her.

yeah maybe i will. i am going to get the tank no matter what. i was glad no one flamed me or n e thing for not having test kis lol. all my fish look good so far. i think the goldies will be ok for at least a week, i really really like the big fat one lol. i will try to get sum test kits. wat temp should i keep the tank at also. and how many times a day should i ffed themi ahve been doing it twice for the time being wwith golfish food is that ok.v o and thanks for everyones help

k im making alist for when i go to the lfs here is it so far

• Fish Tank-20-25 Gallons(have light and heater already)
• Gravel
• Test kits(what ones)
• Lighting (Power compact 2*65 watt or Metal Halide)(for slat water)
• Fake plants
• Goldfish food

Anything else i need. also will ac 150 hob be ok on that or should i buy something else. i ahve a air pump i could hook up to my two tanks and i could get one of those corner pumps or sumthin, what do u suggest.,

testkits - ammonia, nitrite, and when you can afford it: GH & KH, freshwater pH

o i have one of them lol, its the siphon thingy write. bad experiences with it , didnt stop sucking in the water and got sum in my mouth lol. will the rest be good. i am getting the tank dunno wat size 20-25. watefer one they have. i think i talked my mom into it, i said id sell the small one they are in nnow to afford the next size. cvant wait till i get it on thursday, will the ac150 be enough or should iget sumtihn else too like air pump or sumthin .n e other info would b greatly appreciated. also how many times should i feed them, wat tmep should tank b at.

i got my new tank, not exact on size but it is at least a 20 gallons. i think it is 24x12x16 or sumthin like that, i think the goldfish will be happy in it, i also got them food, but the lfs had no testkits so i dint get n e of them.

Back
Top Bottom