New Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olandrew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all!

So I just posted on the breeding forum...I would like to start breeding guppies, I have a 10 gallon tank & my filter is an Aqueon Quiet Flow10 for up to 20 gallons.

I would much appreciate anyone's help on how to set it up and how I should condition my water, how long to wait before adding fish, & how to cycle my water.

All advice would be helpful!

Thanks a bundle!
Andrew & his tanks!

If you are wanting to breed you will want to use a sponge filter. HOB (hang on back) filters can suck up the baby fry and kill them once they get stuck in the filter. You can purchase sponges that go over the intake valve of your HOB filter but I don't suggest them. I used them for about 2 weeks before purchasing a sponge filter from my lfs. Mine were constantly getting clogged and my water quality dropped rapidly.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So you suggest a sponge filter right ? Do you buy them as a kit ?

Thanks a bundle!
Andrew & his tanks!

Yes i suggest a sponge filter. Not sure what you mean by kit...? You will need an air pump and airline tubing to run the sponge filter I've never seen any that come with those things but it might just be what your LFS stocks as far as kits.

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's why I ask Bc I've never used a sponge filter. It's just a pump tubing and the tubing into the sponge and that filtrates my tank ?

Thanks a bundle!
Andrew & his tanks!

Yep I use them in my fry, shrimp, and planted tanks. Here's a picture of one of mine the air tube runs straight to the middle and that how you get oxygen in your water the sponge filter does the rest. I clean mine about once every month and you just lightly squeeze it in a bucket of aquarium safe water. Not to much though or you'll rinse out all the good bacteria that is your tanks bio-filter also why you don't want to clean the filter to often. It is important to keep up with water changes if you plan on raising fry.

Attachments

• 1407115283947.jpg
    1407115283947.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 47
Awesome sounds good thanks ! Helps a lot !

Thanks a bundle!
Andrew & his tanks!

No problem good luck with your fry!

Thanks I'll post some cool pics when it happens !

Thanks a bundle!
Andrew & his tanks!

This is a 10 gallon that I call my guppie experiment. I'm using a terra 10i and the fry have no problem staying out of the filter. I use aquaclear foam and bio media instead of the junk tetra gives with the filter. A ton of hornwort and breading grass for the fry to hide in. 1 male 2 females and about 20 fry about a week old.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

App wont upload the pic here it is just for some ideas.

Attachments

• IMAG0965.jpg
    IMAG0965.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 77
That's a 10 gallon? That's awesome! Nice to know I'll keep all the grass and hornwort in mind as well as the filter you use. Even tho I might go with the sponge.

Thanks a bundle!
Andrew & his tanks!

Java moss is also a great hiding spot for guppy fry and it can grow with very little light and it grows fast.

Back
Top Bottom