New tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've never done a fishless cycle yet, and I should be getting my filter tomorrow. If I do, I will be filling up my 55G and starting up the filter. I'll put my cartrige from my 26G Emperor 280 into one of the slots of the Emperor 400 I'm getting. Will also mix some of the media from the media basket into the new media basket on the 400 with some new media.

As for adding ammonia, I could only find 1 kind at Safeway here. Most were scented, and the cheaper one said it was sudsy and for cleaning bathrooms, kitchens, etc. But the one I found was the most expensive one, is said Clear Ammonia, non-detergent type. Is that the one I need to use? I already bought it, and just want to verify before I fill the tank.

It sounds like the genuine article. The only way to know for sure is to check the inert and active ingredients list. If you see any mention of soaps, detergents or other additives, it's not pure.

I checked the bottle, no ingredients listed. It's Pacific Brand, and it's called Crystal Clear Ammonia. In the directions, it says if you want to use it as a cleaner, to add your own detergents and scents. So I guess it's just straight ammonia. It's Made in Canada.

Found this on the web.....

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fishless_cycling.php

In order to properly cycle a tank, all that's required is the filter media, water movement to supply Oxygen to the bacterial colonies, an introduction of the right type of bacteria, and a source of Ammonia. The best and most efficient source of Ammonia is pure Ammonia. The household cleaning variety is perfect for this use, but make sure that it does not contain any additives or perfumes before using it! Ammonia used should be free of surfactants, perfumes, and colorants. Always read the ingredients on the bottle. The best sources for Pure or Clear Ammonia are discount grocery stores or hardware stores. Often, the no-name brand is the stuff you're looking for. Some other people have reported success with the following brand names of Ammonia: Top Crest or Whirl Clear Ammonia. If it doesn't list the ingredients or say Clear Ammonia (or Pure Ammonia or 100% Ammonia, or Pure Ammonium Hydroxide), then leave it on the shelf and look elsewhere. Shake the bottle if you're not sure about it because Ammonia with surfactants will foam, while "good" Ammonia will not.

It will be like a near instant cycle. I'm pulling my filter cartrige from my Emperor 280 and putting it into 1 slot on the Emperor 400 on my 55G. Also taking some media out of the media basket and putting into the new media basket, and topping each off with new media. Also going to wipe some of the bacteria colonies off the plastic side of the bio-wheel (not the blades themselves), and putting on the blades of the new bio-wheels, giving it a kick-start. Then will add the ammonia to cycle. I just don't want to move my eels over to the new tank til after the initial spike. Also going to put some gravel from the old tank into a filter sleeve and set it in the new tank near the filter intake. I don't want to put the gravel in the tank outside a filter sleeve because my new tank is going to be pool filter sand, and my old tank is regular aquarium gravel. I don't want to mix them. If I can get a good culture going on the bio-wheel, that will be great.

So from what I read, doing a fishless cycle is quicker at warmer temps? I was reading that they grow and divide at a faster pace in warmer water, and they recommend 82-84 degrees? I was planning on setting my new tank at 82 degrees for cycling, then slowly drop it back down to 78 degrees prior to adding my eels, sharks, dojo's, and CAE's. Sound good?

I did as suggested here on my 125 and used filter media from other tanks. I was cycled in about a week. I turned up the temps too and it worked well. Good luck with your cycle.

Just hope UPS drops off my filter tomorrow. :) Looked at the tracking, and is due to arrive tomorrow. And still on schedule. :)

I'm sad, I'm sad, I'm sad, lol

Stage 1 complete. Pool filter sand is in the tank, and the ornaments and driftwood. Then I seeded the tank and brought the powerhead and quick filter over and started running it. Then I partially dosed the tank with ammonia, as I don't have my main filter yet. Should be arriving soon.

One small problem, after dosing the tank, I noticed a hitch-hiker. The yoyo must have been jammed in a piece of driftwood from my smaller tank, and he was running loose in the new tank, lol. I looked the driftwood over real well, and still missed him, lol. I finally caught him and put him back in the old tank til this one cycles.

Another small problem. This morning I know I saw 2 striped loaches in my old tank. But now I can only find 1, lol. And no sign of anything in the new tank yet. Been watching both, and no striped loach. :( Hope he's ok wherever he might be. Eventually the yoyo will go to the new tank and will get 2 or 3 more, so he's got buddies. And if I can't find the striped loach, might have to get 1 or 2 more of them bot the small tank so he's got friends.

Come on UPS, get here NOWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Just a thought. In the past I have seen the striped loach come out from under the rock where the eels go in during the day. Might be in there, lol. Mighty crowded, a small hollow fake rock with a 10" fire eel and a 9" fire eel, and a striped loach. lol.

hi again...

Here's my new tank......

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

I'll be getting rid of the quick filter on the powerhead on the right. It's just used to help seed the tank.

Will have 2 powerheads for water movement. And the Emperor 400 for the filtration. I don't plan on over-stocking this one, so the 400 is more than enough.

Also, I'm a happy camper now. I was right, the striped loach was in the rock cave. Just a little bit ago, he popped out, and then 3 minutes later, went back in, lol. Then the yoyo went in, lol. Something must be good in there, must be pretty cramped with 2 fire eels, a yoyo, and a striped loach, lol. ;)

I probably should have left some of the driftwood in the small tank. Looks pretty bare now, and the sharks are chasing each other more. Once I get the rest of my order from Big Al's, will add more plants to fill things up in the small tank, and add a little more color to the new tank.

Now to figure out what color I want the background. Was looking at black, as someone told me it would look great, and also you wouldn't see the powerhead cords. :)

A black background would go quite well with all the other black stuff or you could go with a bg that shows some nice green plants.

The only thing I don't like about this tank is the light is set back a little, and is up against the Emperor 400. If it was a little closer to the front, it would light up the shipwreck better. Thinking of getting rid of the shipwreck when I complete the 2nd set of caves. This 55G long is just too narrow, and the shipwreck is just too big. Might come in handy if I do get the 300G wide. :) But for the 55G, it's still just a bit too big.

I also have more of the white quartz I can put in if I get rid of the shipwreck. As well as the 2nd cave I'm working on. Also going to get some PVC pipe, black, and make another cave out of that. :)

Back
Top Bottom