New tanks!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just picked up 3 new(used)tanks today. A 5.5gal, 10gal and 15 gal. Here is what we are thinking of putting in them...please chime in with any remarks.

5.5gal - new QT tank

10Gal - 2 male bettas(divider in middle) with a albino clawed frog on one side and a small pleco on the other(the pleco is for the fiance)...she adores them

15gal - 2-3 red tailed black sharks and maybe some albino barbs or maybe tiger barbs(although they kinda look like my loaches). I am trying to obtain a semi-aggersive/aggresive tank with some personality.

Any suggestions or comments on possible mis-matches or suggestions on different fish would be most appreciated.

BTW - all 3 tanks with 2 aquaclear minis, aquaclear 150, gravel, master test kit(aquarium pharm) and misc fake plants......$100.00 Canadian

My tiger barbs outgrew the 15-gal before too long - they need a bit more room as adults. Even the dwarf plecos need at least 12-15 gallons, so I think half of a 10-gal would be cramped.

Congrats on the tanks, tho - you're doin' better than me!

A single shark would be fine. Keep in mind that they get to 5" and he'll want more space than that when he's grown. At least I would give him more space! Be careful about what kind of Pleco you get. Common ones get to be almost 2 feet in length and a small tank won't really stunt their growth.

Menagerie said:
albino clawed frog
I believe they get BIG. Stick with the dwarf varieties.

frogskin1.JPG

This frog is 4 years old and about 4" long..... and she eats anything I put in the tank, including plastic plants, my fingers, fish......
If you want African clawed frogs, be prepared for the end result :)

2 sharks will kill eachother? Really? I have 2 small ones and they seem to do fine, but is that the result when they are older... maybe I should seperate them?

thanks so far for the advice. I think I will have to rethink the tanks a little. I think 2 bettas in the 10gal with a divider will be sufficient.

The 15gal is a little different....I think i'll have to take a look around the lfs some more.

MTS is getting us folks. We are going to look at a 108gal setup on Thursday.

108 gal glass tank with stand and canopy
Aquaclear 500
Magnum 300
802 powerhead(?? on make)
Heaters - 2
2 x 48" life glo bulbs

All for a whopping $375.00 Canadian...i'm sooooo excited :D ...I really want a Discus tank :p

Any additional info on my 2 smaller new tanks would be greatly appreciated. So many decisions :roll:

I had two red tailed sharks in a 55 gallon tank after bad advice at the lfs. The more dominant one would chase the smaller one in circles around the tank. After a week, the smaller one turned gray, and his tail turned yellow (loosing color).. he was also starting to get a mild case of fin rot. I had to seperate them into different tanks, at which point the smaller one regained color.
So agreed with above .. do not put multiple red tails in with each other - even if you think they have enough room .. the dominant will actually seek out and harrass the smaller ones.

Back
Top Bottom